Friday, November 7, 2008

The Moutaintop: BARACK OBAMA is THERE


Someone asked me how do I feel about BARACK OBAMA being elected as the USA's president. It was a vague question as I assumed they were NOT referring to OBAMA being the USA's first black President. I explained I was, cynical, nervous, scared, hopeful, relieved, charmed, not impressed based upon Obama's mainstream stance, but fearful enough of Mc Cain that yeh, what do you expect, worse case scenario, it's cool, Obama's more liberal than his counterpart. I KNOW at least regarding AMERICA's foreign policy, aint a damn thing is going to change, and that being so sad, Obama may make the same mistakes.
Of course, all that soap boxing when the question regarding OBAMA being elected president was regarding his race....
:Scratches head: As a former Black Studies (honestly I should have taken some psychology, sociology and womens studies classes) and Journalism major, and from the standpoint of being non white, BARACK OBAMA's U.S. presidential victory WAS HUUUUUGE.
After all, AMERICA was built on the backs of the poor, slaves, immigrants and Native Americans.
When I spoke to people about the BARACK OBAMA (older than me) whom were born before 1960, OBAMA's victory was the fruits of tireless social change including the civil rights movement, NAACP, ending slavery, segregation, Jim Crow Laws. Without such sacrifice, and the blood, sweat and tears of such courageous people, BARACK OBAMA would NEVER have this opportunity, at all.
I'm just 38, and OBAMA's not the first African American to run for president in my lifetime, just the first to win.
NO, I don't take my freedom to vote for granted, and I don't take my freedom to have equal opportunity in this country for granted either. Frankly folks, 50 or 60 years ago, OBAMA would not be allowed to run for president, and 100 years ago, he would not be allowed to vote himself.
Have we as Americans come a looooong way, YES WE HAVE!
Here's to the civil rights movement of the 50's and 60's and let's extend these civil rights to ALL.
Cheers, and thanks to the elders for setting a POSITIVE precedent, in my lifetime.
Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal, Stay Diverse\m/ -l-
Although ITP doesn't NOT endorse political candidates, I wide range of diverse musicians DID endorse BARACK OBAMA: (obviously DUFF formerly of GUNS AND ROSES):
GOD FORBID (NJ)-"God Forbid as a whole endorses Barack Obama for president," wrote Dallas. "I don't know if we are big enough to actually 'endorse' him, but as a band we all like him and have voted for him."

Dallas wrote the column in response to assertions by readers of his previous columns that he should not mix music and politics. Finding the notion absurd, Dallas wrote, "While I can agree that music and politics shouldn't be the same thing, I think it's impossible for our band to separate the two completely. We don't sing about women breaking up with us."

Hopefully, other bands will see Dallas' statement and take firm stances of their own. Politicians constantly worry about getting young votes, and there is probably no better way than to be endorsed by popular musicians. Taking a side may "rock the boat" and cause some fans to abandon their music, but in the end it could make the world a better place.
After all, as Dallas said, "Your true values become apparent when what you represent isn't cool."



New Jersey's very own BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN (whom did NOT like Ronald Reagen endorsing HIM in 1984):Like most of you, I've been following the campaign and I have now seen and heard enough to know where I stand. Senator Obama, in my view, is head and shoulders above the rest.
He has the depth, the reflectiveness, and the resilience to be our next President. He speaks to the America I've envisioned in my music for the past 35 years, a generous nation with a citizenry willing to tackle nuanced and complex problems, a country that's interested in its collective destiny and in the potential of its gathered spirit. A place where "...nobody crowds you, and nobody goes it alone."
OTHER BARACK OBAMA endorsements via musicians: GRATEFUL DEAD, WILCO, CHERYL CROW, STEVIE WONDER, ALLMAN BROTHERS, MELISSA ETHERIDGE, SLASH formerly of GUNS AND ROSES, CHRIS CORNELL, SACRED REICH, SCOTT WEILAND, THE RAMONES, DISTURBED, TWISTED SISTER,MACHINE HEAD, PERAL JAM ECT.
IN METAL: (right here on BLOGSPOT) THE METAL PUNDIT

FROM ROBB FLYNN and MACHINEHEAD:
Asked for his opinion on Barack Obama's epochal election victory on November 4, Flynn replied, "[It's] awesome, man. It's fucking killer. It's amazing, really. Historic beyond words. First black president in the history of America; it's pretty fucking unbelievable. The dude's fucking getting dropped into a giant pile of shit… [laughs] … with no paper towels to wipe it off or anything, so he's a got a lot of fucking work to do. And I get the vibe that he can do it. For the first time in a long time, I believe. And I wanna believe."

TREY OF MORBID ANGEL (very cool guy BTW):
 "OBAMA's 'Victory Is Victory For Higher Level Of Vision And Principle, "THIS IS A PARADIGM SHIFT, AN EVOLUTION, MASSIVE ON SO MANY LEVELS!!!!!!!