Friday, September 25, 2009

METAL AT THE MOVIES: PART 14: EDGE: THE MOVIE


ITP apologizes about posting this journal entry before it was written, damn my fingers slipped. OK..DISCLAIMER: I'm not into hardcore nor am I vegan. I'm 39 years old..Am I experienced, yes I am..Do I experiment with drugs anymore, NO, I'm drug free, proud and I never had an addiction, and never needed rehab. METAL, music and writing is my drug. I'm working on quitting smoking, that's my vice, and really wish I never started. It someone asked my opinion on smoking, and keep in mind when I stop smoking I'll never be a nazi about it, although I am allergic. I would have to say, don't ever start smoking, think of the money you save, and how much healthier your lungs will be, respiratory problems and asthma suck.
Most straight edge kids are underage as they parents prefer that their dependents be drug free. Others choose STRAIGHT EDGE as a healthier ideal even as adults, as perhaps music is the adrenaline.
I DO understand and respect those whom are straight edge, as their are so many other activities that induce a legal "high" including sports, music, moshing, sky diving, biking, rock climbing, writing. Adrenaline junkie, go for it..
What I'm more concerned about is alot of straight edge gangs out west whom are dogmatic and violent to others whom may drink in moderation.
However, when I booked bands, I was concerned over the pressure to break even and make a profit off of alcohol sales, which I think has NOTHING to do with music. A band can draw at the door, and not make a profit at the bar because the fans are underage or are not alcoholics.
I do applaud when a straight edge show closes the bar and makes a profit.. In the end, it's about the FANS, that came to see the music, and the quality of the music and performance, not about how rich people get fuckin people up and the behavior of such douchebags, and notice how much cooler the moshing is without being drunk.
Drug abuse and alcoholism IS a disease, ask James Hetfield, Alice In Chains, Kurt Cobain, or the ones whom are not dead or recovered, or those douches spanging in New Paltz, NY for alcohol, yes alcohol and not FOOD. Ask Jay Lavalle, or Jay Bone, both whom committed suicide from in part, drug abuse and mental health issues. Ask Lavalle, and J Bones friends, in their psychotic denial.
I think there is difference between those whom drink in moderation and vs. those whom are alcoholics and drug addicts. Read this journal before I finish the final edit before the end of the year, DID I SAY I HATE ALCOHOLICS! Yeh, I did, because of the behavior, hypocrisy and denial of those whom are under the influence of their own substance abuse problems or psychotic tendencies. If said please go to AA before talking shit on others, I meant it, and of course those whom rob and steal from others to afford their habits, are awful.
I never try get up on a soapbox regarding any issue, but I've spoken out about the dirtiest underworld of drug abuse, I'm sorry, even the ones whom are "functional" substance abusers are the dirtiest people, reeking of their addiction and become sociopaths under the influence.
Of course, are we putting the cart before the horse here? From what I'm told, when people go through rehab, they break them open like an eggshell, and make them look much deeper to the problems that cause them to self medicate. Sexual, physical, psychological abuse, breakups, deaths, psychiatric problems as the substance abuse is the symptom of so many more issues.
However, I don't label myself STRAIGHT EDGE because I smoke, and once in a blue moon, I'll have a beer in moderation, but I'm drug free.
Although, I hate hardcore, there are some interesting documentaries about the good and bad of the STRAIGHT EDGE scene.
EDGE, is a documentary about the straight edge (SXE=no drugs, drinking, or smoking) scene founded accidentally by Ian MacKaye of Washington DC hardcore band MINOR THREAT and post hardcore band FUGAZI. EDGE chronicles drug free alternatives.
The second straight edge documentary (GO TO YOU TUBE) is entitled
"Inside Straight Edge" about the good, bad and violence of the straight edge culture of the West Coast USA, SXE scene. ELGIN JAMES, leader of hardcore crew FSU, whom was recently arrested for extortion is known as SXE (STRAIGHT EDGE).
Other than that, I could care less about hardcore.

FROM SMNNEWS.COM: THE STRAIGHT EDGE DOCUMENTARY TOUR:

EDGE: The Straightedge Documentary Tour

Remember when we told you about EDGE: The Documentary? Well, now it’s coming to a movie theater near you.
Tour Dates:
October 3 – New York City @ Helen Mills Theater
October 5 – Boston @ Coolidge Corner Theatre
October 7 – Philadelphia @ First Unitarian Church
October 9 – Washington D.C. @ St. Stephens Church
October 10 – Richmond @ Byrd Theatre
October 12 – Pittsburgh @ GPAC
October 13 – Athens @ Brown Town
October 14 – Cincinnati @ Sidewinder
October 15 – Indianapolis @ Murphy Building Studio 8
October 17 – Chicago @ Roden – Chicago Public Library
October 20 – Toronto @ CineCycle
October 22 – Syracuse @ Palace Theatre
October 25 – Santa Barbara/Goleta @ Goleta Public Library
October 26 – Seattle @ Grand Illusion Cinema
October 27 – Portland @ Hollywood Theatre
October 30 – Santa Cruz @ Resource Center
November 1 – Sacramento @ Java Lounge Theatre
November 2 – Reno @ Hen Den
November 4 – San Francisco @ Mission Underground Film Festival
28 years after MINOR THREAT released the song “Straight Edge”, hundreds if not thousands of kiddies have drawn X’s on their hands with sharpies and donned camo shorts and baseball hats. Without faiil, the drugfree counterculture has become a worldwide phenomenon. Now, to celebrate it, a documentary has been put together. The documentary EDGE offers perspectives on drugfree culture traces this subculture, from its early roots in the beginning of the 1980s to this day by drawing a very differentiated and diverse picture through in-depth interviews of 10 individuals. EDGE takes the viewer behind and beyond the scenes of Straight Edge: the people living the idea, how it changed their lives and what it means to them on a very personal level.
Furthermore, Ian MacKaye (Minor Threat/Fugazi), Ray Cappo (Youth of Today/Shelter) and Karl Buechner (Earth Crisis) give witness to their perception of the history of Straight Edge.
EDGE, perspectives on drugfree culture, will be shown in cinemas across the globe in summer 2009. Check a trailer out at http://www.edgethemovie.com
(BELOW TRAILERS "EDGE-THE MOVIE" and "INSIDE STRAIGHT EDGE" PART ONE NATIONAL: GEOGRAPHIC SPECIAL) :


Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ -l-