Thursday, December 16, 2010

MIKE PORTNOY LEAVES AVENGED SEVENFOLD

Mike Portnoy Pictures, Images and Photos EX DREAM THEATER drummer MIKE PORTNOY has issued this update, as PORTNOY left DREAM THEATER for AVENGED SEVENFOLD last September (2010), DREAM THEATER are currently auditioning new drummers. (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=150802, http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=151012)
FROM MIKE PORTNOY:

"Yes, the rumors are true... Sadly my time with AVENGED SEVENFOLD has come to an end... The band has decided to carry on into 2011 without me...

"I had a great time with them throughout 2010, but it was their choice to end the relationship at the end of 2010 as was always the initial plan....

"I had an awesome time on stage with the guys every night and have so many cool memories from the experience with them... I am proud to always be part of the AVENGED SEVENFOLD family and history. I also adore the AVENGED SEVENFOLD fans and totally appreciate the way they welcomed me aboard and were so loving and supportive during my time with the band...thank you!

"As far as my future, I am excited by the endless musical possibilities that lie ahead of me...my love for music runs very deep and my taste is very broad and ecclectic which will give me the chance to explore many different things and collaborate with many great friends and artists I admire and respect...

"Happy holidaze to you all and c-ya in the New Year."
FROM SOUNDWAVE PROMOTERS VIA BLABBERMOUTH.NET:
AJ Maddah, who is responsible for organizing Australia's Soundwave festival, has slammed AVENGED SEVENFOLD for allegedly refusing to play during the day or clash with festival headliners IRON MAIDEN, despite being billed in tenth place on the lineup poster.

In a series of comments posted on Twitter, Maddah said, "AVENGED have decided, despite having originally confirmed a mid-afternoon spot, that they are now unwilling to play unless it is night time. At the same time, they are refusing to play at the same time as MAIDEN… In other words, they want MAIDEN to play in the afternoon!

"While AVENGED are a massive band, having sold around 8,000 copies of their new album nationally, I won't be able to move MAIDEN's time slot. I have now reached the point where I can no longer mess around 70 other bands and 180,000 ticket holders to appease this band's nonsense. I have every expectation that they will go back on their agreement and cancel."

Earlier today, AVENGED SEVENFOLD issued a statement confirming that it has decided to pull out of Soundwave, explaining that "the band decided that they could not offer fans the live experience they have come to expect and didn’t want to disappoint them. AVENGED SEVENFOLD will return to Australia soon to headline their own tour."

Soundwave festival dates are as follows:

Feb. 26 - Brisbane, Showgrounds
Feb. 27 - Sydney, Eastern Creek Raceway
Mar. 04 - Melbourne, Showgrounds
Mar. 05 - Adelaide, Bonython Park
Mar. 07 - Perth, Steel Blue Oval
FROM AVENGED SEVENFOLD VIA PULSE OF RADIO and BLABBERMOUTH.NET:
AVENGED SEVENFOLD frontman M. Shadows told The Pulse Of Radio that the band was not happy about the public way in which drummer Mike Portnoy's split with his former group DREAM THEATER was played out, which may have soured Portnoy's relationship with AVENGED, ultimately causing his departure from the Orange County, California-based act. "We were actually a little more shocked," M. Shadows said. "We felt that maybe both parties could have handled it a little more internally without being so press release-happy about what had happened between them. Because we're a band that, really, when it comes to news all over web sites or this or that about bands, you know, we don't tweet much, we don't try to put ourselves out that much, and all the drama and controversy wasn't something that we wanted at all."

M. Shadows talking to The Pulse Of Radio about DREAM THEATER / Mike Portnoy drama (audio):



Portnoy recorded the drum parts for AVENGED SEVENFOLD's latest album, "Nightmare", and toured with them for much of 2010 following the death last December of AVENGED drummer James "The Rev" Sullivan.

Although AVENGED SEVENFOLD did not immediately issue a statement regarding Mike's split with the group, Portnoy broke the news himself yesterday (Thursday, December 16) on Facebook, writing, "Sadly my time with AVENGED SEVENFOLD has come to an end...The band has decided to carry on into 2011 without me ...I had a great time with them throughout 2010, but it was their choice to end the relationship at the end of 2010 as was always the initial plan..."
UPDATE 12/20/2010 as PORTNOY CAN NOT REJOIN DREAM THEATER:

"Fairly recently, I reached out to the guys to try and make amends and offered to reconcile for the sake of having peace back in our lives… (plus I know how much it meant to a lot of the fans…)

"I figured it was still possible to try and save us, because they hadn't made any announcements yet or begun any public activity with another drummer… but sadly, they declined my offer (well, actually their lawyer did… they didn't even tell me themselves….)

"Sorry, gang, I honestly gave it my all…

"So now the fans on my Twitter and Facebook can please stop asking me to go back to DREAM THEATER… I tried, and the door is now shut… The ball is now in their court, not mine…

"I'm not crying or looking for mercy by posting this… I am merely trying to set the record straight as that is always the most important thing about my relationship with you guys… No BS, no spins, nothing to hide… and for better or for worse, I tell it like it is… I've also recently seen some people accuse my online activity of 'looking for attention or media coverage,' or 'looking for sympathy,' but it's honestly none of the above… I merely value having an open and active communication with my fans… Always have, always will… It is the cornerstone of everything I've done since day #1 with DREAM THEATER…

"This was posted here FOR YOU GUYS to know about... here on MY message board on MY website... If it ends up on Blabbermouth or wherever else, that is THEIR choice to spread, I did not request it or send out a 'press release'...

"Anyways, onward and upward...

"I've got a lot of great music and ideas waiting to come out of me and alot of exciting collaborations in the works....so goodbye 2010...bring on 2011!"




Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ -l-