Sunday, March 4, 2012

ITP V.012: ONLY ONE PER COFFIN: R.I.P. RONNIE MONTROSE (MONSTROSE)




Guitar icon RONNIE MONTROSE passed away 3/3/2012 of prostate cancer.RONNIE MONTROSE's guitar heroics inspired a generation of shredders as MONTROSE first featured vocalist SAMMY HAGAR (formerly of VAN HALEN). RONNIE MONTROSE was 64.

FROM RONNIE MONTROSE OFFICIAL WEBSITE:
Ronnie Montrose ~ 1947-2012

A few months ago, we held a surprise party for Ronnie Montrose's 64th birthday. He gave an impromptu speech, and told us that after a long life, filled with joy and hardship, he didn't take any of our love for granted.

He passed today. He'd battled cancer, and staved off old age for long enough. And true to form, he chose his own exit the way he chose his own life. We miss him already, but we're glad to have shared with him while we could.

FROM Myles Kennedy (ALTER BRIDGE, SLASH): "Sad to hear Ronnie Montrose passed away. 'Rock Candy' was one of the first songs I ever learned."

FROM Slash (VELVET REVOLVER, GUNS N' ROSES): "Myles just told me Ronnie Montrose passed. Fn' shame. 'Montrose' is one of the all-time great [rock and roll] albums. Major influence. RIP, man."

FROM David Ellefson (MEGADETH): "RIP Ronnie Montrose!!! So sad to hear of this today. I had the pleasure of playing bass for him circa 2005-07. Such a powerhouse human being and ferocious guitarist. I learned a lot from him! God's peace.".

FROM NONPOINT: "Another legend gone, Rest in peace, Ronnie Montrose."

FROM Gus G. (FIREWIND, OZZY OSBOURNE): "R.I.P. Ronnie Montrose."

FROM Glenn Hughes (BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION, BLACK SABBATH, DEEP PURPLE): "Just heard that my good friend Ronnie Montrose has passed away. I'm speechless. RIP, my brother...you will be missed at the Hughes'."

FROM TESLA: "We all loved him."

FROM Kip Winger (WINGER): "I had the pleasure of working with Ronnie not too long ago. He was a real gem, very giving and very talented. A great loss to the world. RIP, Ronnie."

FROM Eddie Trunk (VH1 Classic "That Metal Show" co-host): "Woke to very sad news Ronnie Montrose has passed away from cancer at 64. He created one of the all-time landmark hard rock albums with debut LP… [I] also liked GAMMA, but nothing touches the debut album, a masterpiece that influenced SO many rock and metal bands! RIP, Ronnie Montrose."

FROM FORBIDDEN:
The world lost one of the great guitar Icons of all time yesterday. RIP Ronnie Montrose. You will always be remembered!

FROM MEGADETH: RIP Ronnie Montrose!!! I had the pleasure of playing bass for him circa 2005-07. Such a powerhouse human being... http://fb.me/1yrz4HKS4
-David Ellefson

FROM SAMMY HAGAR (FORMALLY OF MONTROSE, VAN HALEN):
Ronnie Montrose gave me my first break as a songwriter, as a front man, as a recording artist, as a touring artist, and for that I will always be grateful.

FROM JOE SATRIANI: "R.I.P. Ronnie Montrose."

FROM Alex Skolnick (TESTAMENT): "RIP Ronnie Montrose. Though often overlooked, still a towering figure of Bay Area hard rock. 1st Montrose album = essential."

FROM Dee Snider (TWISTED SISTER): "Just found out that the legendary Ronnie Montrose died. That first Montrose album was life changing for me."

FROM Billy Sheehan (MR. BIG): "Rest in Peace, Ronnie Montrose. First Montrose record—one of the greatest rock records ever made."
I was looking forward to a reunion for my birthday bash in Cabo with Denny, Bill and Ronnie - one of the few bands from that era where all four original members were still able to do it. It's a shame to lose Ronnie and I'm so sorry for his loved ones. Rest in peace.




Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-R.I.P RONNIE MONTROSE