Tuesday, April 17, 2012

LEVON HELM (THE BAND): FINAL STAGES OF CANCER

Legendary Woodstock, New York based rock drummer/vocalist/actor and founder of THE BAND, LEVON HELM is battling "the final stages" of cancer. HELM was diagnosed with throat cancer in 1998 and has bravely battled his condition with treatment rocking on with his "Midnight Ramble" shows (with many well known guests) near his studio (Woodstock, NY area "The Barn"). LEVON HELM's "Ramble" shows have raised funds for his medical expenses. LEVON HELM's release "Ramble at the Ryman" won a U.S. grammy for Best Americana Album in 2011. 

Dear Friends, 
Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey. ...

Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his life so filled with joy and celebration... he has loved nothing more than to play, to fill the room up with music, lay down the back beat, and make the people dance! He did it every time he took the stage...

We appreciate all the love and support and concern. 
From his daughter Amy, and wife Sandy


FROM THE HELM FAMILY:
Thank you, all, for the outpouring of kindness and love. I know Levon is feeling it and that love will help guide him through this final journey. Thank you for your respect for his, Sandy's and Amy's privacy. YOU are truly people with class and Levon would think the world of you. The pain of knowing we're going to lose him is almost too much for all of us to bear at the moment. But it can't be about US. This is about honoring this great man's dignity and privacy. Let's send him off with love, positive energy, lots of light and words of support and comfort. Keep sending the great posts. I'm going to read them all to him. Thank you so, so much!



FROM ROBBIE ROBERTSON, (former member of The Band): Last week I was shocked and so saddened to hear that my old band mate, Levon, was in the final stages of his battle with cancer. It hit me really hard because I thought he had beaten throat cancer and had no idea that he was this ill. I spoke with his family and made arrangements to go and see him. On Sunday I went to New York and visited him in the hospital. I sat with Levon for a good while, and thought of the incredible and beautiful times we had together. It was heartwarming to be greeted by his lovely daughter Amy, whom I have known since she was born. Amy’s mother, Libby Titus, and her husband, Donald Fagen, were so kind to help walk me through this terrible time of sadness. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife Sandy. Levon is one of the most extraordinary talented people I’ve ever known and very much like an older brother to me. I am so grateful I got to see him one last time and will miss him and love him forever. -Robbie Robertson FROM GARTH HUDSON (FORMER MEMBER OF THE BAND):   I am too sad for words right now. Please continue praying for Levon and family." - Garth                                   FROM JANE FONDA:  I got to know Levon personally because he played my husband in the ABC movie “The Dollmaker.” He was kind and deep and devoted to music, as a singer and playing not only drums, but harmonica, fiddle, mandolin, you name it. He has lived for a long time in Woodstock, New York, where he turned his barn/studio into a place where hundreds of people would come weekly to his “Midnight Ramble“. I filmed my soon-to-be-released movie, “Peace, Love And Misunderstanding” there and had the chance to attend several of the Midnight Rambles. It was like being in church. Brilliant guest artists would come to play with him and his group. Donald Fagin, pianist and lead voice of Steely Dan, was a regular. All you have to do is rent “The Last Waltz“, the documentary that Martin Scorsese made of The Band’s last performance together to be reminded what an astonishing drummer Levon was. He gave the Band it’s powerful, driving force, a wall of pulsating rhythm. And his voice—singing “The Weight”–all deep soul. I am so sad.
Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ Good vibes to LEVON, I wanna party at THE RAMBLE