Wednesday, May 16, 2012

TONY IOMMI SENDS TRIBUTE TO RONNIE JAMES DIO

Two years ago today, legendary metal vocalist RONNIE JAMES DIO (DIO, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW,HEAVEN AND HELL) passed away to complications of stomach cancer at 67. BLACK SABBATH guitarist TONY IOMMI has posted this tribute to his bandmate as IOMMI is also suffering from cancer and is in treatment.







FROM TONY IOMMI:

"I've been thinking of you old friend while dealing with my own health issues over the last six months and remembering the good times."

When asked about being regarded as a legend in 2005, Dio told BWBK.COM: “It always seemed very strange to me, to be thought of as this legendary figure, because legends are usually people who’ve died. Sure, there’s some who haven’t died and they deserve that accolade, but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I don’t think of myself that way. I don’t think of myself as a star or a superstar or a legend. To me, it’s my work. It’s what I do, and my job is always to be as good as I can be. If you start to listen to what people say about you, a lot of people start to backslide and think that they don’t have to work so hard anymore. For me, it’s hard work that gets you where you want to be. I was always brought up that way by my folks. Work hard at what you do, try to be the best you can be, don’t think so much of yourself because once you start believing what people say about you, you really do start to tread water. I’m very grateful for the things that people say about me, but in the end the only thing matters to me is the presentation that you get tomorrow, not what you get yesterday, because I’m only as good as what I’m gonna do tomorrow.”





Iommi - who has been diagnosed with the early stages of lymphoma - endured his last dose of chemotherapy in late March and recently completed three weeks of radiotherapy. Meanwhile, the three original members of Sabbath, Iommi, singer Ozzy Osbourne and bassist Geezer Butler are currently working on their first studio album in thirty three years and first since 1978's Never Say Die! In a statement found here, drummer Bill Ward is officially out of the picture for the following reunion shows: the band's hometown return to the O2 Academy in Birmingham on May 19th, UK’s Download Festival on June 10th and the Lollapalooza Festival in Chicago which runs from August 3rd-5th.




FROM BLOODSTOCK UK FEST: 
2 years ago today the World lost one of the greatest singers in Rock and Metal history - Ronnie James Dio will never be forgotten and with the addition of Dio Disciples at this years Bloodstock we'll Stand up and Shout his name and raise horns in his memory.
Long Live RJD. \m/(..)\m/

FROM JONAS RENSKE (KATATONIA): 
Today marks two years since one of the biggest voices in rock/metal left us. Rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio.




 "It was hard to find the right words for a song honoring Ronnie James Dio, but I hope it is regarded as a fitting tribute to a legendary figure. His impact on the metal community will last forever, and though he may have been small in stature, his contribution to the music scene is larger than most will ever achieve." 
Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ -l-