Saturday, April 5, 2014

CURT COBAIN (NIRVANA) and LAYNE STALEY (ALICE IN CHAINS): IN REMEMBRANCE







Hey Ah Na Na
Innocence is over-ALICE IN CHAINS


"You can't fire me because I quit"-NIRVANA 


http://www.newsweek.com/newsweek-rewind-244041



Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
1-800-273-8255
 http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
 http://www.thetrevorproject.org/

 
If ITP readers are NOT in the know, were born after 1994 or just crawled from underneath a rock, today is the 20th anniversary of Seattle, Washington hard rock legends NIRVANA main man CURT COBAIN's death via suicide and the 12th anniversary of ALICE IN CHAINS vocalist LAYNE STALEY's death via a speedball drug overdose. 

Knowing now what I didn't know back then, (but suspected in 1994) is CURT COBAIN suffered from a heroin addiction and bi polar disorder. Curt went to rehab in early 1994 and after a short stay, fled from rehab running into former GUNS and ROSES bassist DUFF MCKAGAN (fresh out of rehab) on the plane to Washington. Cobain was reported as "missing",  and a Private Investigator was employed on an intervention to find Cobain after he fled from rehab. COBAIN was found DEAD 4/8/1994 in the greenhouse of his Washington home with a shotgun and drug paraphernalia in his possession. CURT COBAIN's death was ruled a suicide, and after further recent investigations (2014), the COBAIN case will NOT be re-opened, so ruled, death by suicide via shot gun.

The issues that CURT COBAIN and LAYNE STALEY suffered from (substance abuse, mental health) are on going dysfunctions of world society, they are not the first, and unfortunately won't be the last, and "don't follow". Decisions made under the influence of drugs or alcohol or untreated mental illness are NOT a choice, with awareness, getting help is a choice. 
However, CURT COBAIN (NIRVANA) and LAYNE STALEY (ALICE IN CHAINS) left behind an awesome and influential discography of music, TIMELESS, for the ages as they leave an indelible mark on rock history FOREVER.
ALICE IN CHAINS timeless songwriting, dark and confessional lyrical themes, haunting melodies, awesome vocal harmonies and great double tracked production (DAVE JERDEN) have propelled ALICE IN CHAINS to legends.



NIRVANA drummer DAVE GROHL and (touring) guitarist PAT SMEAR activated FOO FIGHTERS (DAVE GROHL vocalist/ guitar) in the mid 90's as NIRVANA dissolved after CURT COBAIN'S death.. FOO FIGHTERS have gone onto multi platinum mainstream success.
NIRVANA bassist KRIST NOVOSELIC has performed and recorded with FOO FIGHTERS and FLIPPER, has promoted political agendas and is currently in law school.
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2011/jun/27/dave-grohl-foo-fighters-nirvana-cobain

After battling a heroin addiction and multiple trips to rehabs, ALICE IN CHAINS vocalist LAYNE STALEY died of a speedball overdose 4/5/2002, and was found 4/19/2002 via a "welfare and safety" check via Seattle Police and Layne Staley's mother.

In 2006, ALICE IN CHAINS re-activated (after the band officially disbanded in 2002 after LAYNE STALEY's death)  with new vocalist WILLIAM DUVALL and unleashed "Black Gives Way To Blue" 9/25/2009 via VIRGIN/EMI RECORDS and continue to stay active touring and recording.

Former ALICE IN CHAINS bassist MIKE STARR (dismissed from the band in 1993 and replaced by MIKE INEZ) died 3/8/2011 of a prescription drug overdose. MIKE STARR was featured on Dr. Drew's CELEBRITY REHAB. 
https://www.facebook.com/notes/layne-stanley/layne-staley-fund/26886718868

Below is a journal entry/series ITP's author wrote about 10 years ago, "Remembering Curt Cobain" (back when I was just scribble scrabbling on this journal, spell checked ect.). 
Below, is a statement ITP's author made on social networks yesterday. 

Congratulations to NIRVANA for the bands induction into the 2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, ALICE IN CHAINS next? Perhaps..  As ALICE IN CHAINS songwriting in TIMELESS.

I'm guessing almost every genre of music is reeking of retro nostalgia these days, as yes, as of yet, the 90's were the best decade for music in my lifetime in any and all genres, Only the 80's punk, nu wave and thrash metal scenes could rival even the worst of the 90's: 1990's death metal and second wave of black metal, 90's hardcore, 90's techno, rap and alternative were simply BETTER.   


FROM ITP V.014: 

http://consequenceofsound.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/nirvana-suicide.jpg?w=806

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/04/kurt-cobain-and-why-suicide-isnt-painless/


http://www.newsweek.com/did-kurt-cobains-death-lower-suicide-rate-1994-244332

http://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2014/apr/06/readers-editor-sensitive-reporting-suicide-kurt-cobain

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8897665

http://www.seattleweekly.com/home/951542-129/happens-every-day-the-suicide-of

http://www.seattleweekly.com/home/951542-129/happens-every-day-the-suicide-of

 http://www.newsweek.com/newsweek-rewind-244041
DAVID FRICKE (ROLLING STONE) -"He was his audience. This generation has to come to terms with their future, In many ways I feel this is a great loss, this is not some rock star that couldn't handle success, and took an easy way out. Alot of older people and parents shouldn't look it at as some rock star who couldn't handle it, I say, this is your KIDS, think about it.."
..And I remember choking up when FRICKE stated that. Interesting article, today is the 20th anniversary of Curt Cobains death, I would rather celebrate Curts birthday. Excuse Americans, for U.S. culture is steeped in nostalgia as regression is painful. I was 24, and specifically remember holding this copy of NEWSWEEK on the stoop of The Bistro in New Paltz, NY(stunned at Curt's decision) with Curt's picture as I was being lectured by a friend on how selfish suicide is. Best lecture ever, and it took me 2 and half years and a lot of growing pains to "get it". It took me a while to comprehend this as I was going through a roller coaster of emotions just discovering whom I was, going through college and my life coming to a screeching halt until I faced my issues, and it was painful, coming to terms with depression and this nameless disease called mental illness as Curt Cobain suffered from bi polar and heroin addiction. I must say, the conspiracy theories of Cobain's death are far more scary and painful than an impulsive decision he made. Perhaps, being a 24 year old college student whom didn't take a single psychology class until friends helped me understand "mental illness and substance abuse", I wasn't mature enough to comprehend this dysfunction. In retrospect, Curt's suicide note, read to fans during his memorial seemed to dump baggage on anonymous fans, all we did was buy his records, concert tickets, merch and give him airplay. Curt Cobain's final words should NOT be addressed to the fans nor read publically unless an explanation for a professional hiatus or band break up, bad timing and tasteless. As musicians and bands are no less responsible for fans deluded behavior (JUDAS PRIES
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Priest#Subliminal_message_trial), neither are the fans when musicians have melt downs and struggle with mental health and substance abuse problems. However, over the years, countless funerals, and few suicide related deaths of friends, that's what funerals and memorials are for, and a great opportunity to support those whom are pain, help them find options, give out that number for that confidential suicide hotline and the TREVOR PROJECT.  While I don't encourage suicide, now I understand, specifically having the horrid and confusing baggage of two friends whom committed suicide within a year of each other. I'm glad I lived

through it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copycat_suicide
http://suicidetheimpetuous.blogspot.com/2012/03/kurt-cobain-and-copycats.html

Remembering Curt Cobain: (part one)

Polly wants a cracker, maybe I should untie her,It amazes me the WILL of instinct-Nirvana.
I just had the worst dream, and missed my doctors appointment because I was so freaked out. I had a nightmare about Kurt Cobain. I dreamt I was at his funeral? I saw him in his casket with a bandage on his head..I had a vision that the EMT workers dragged his body around..It was weird and I didn't wake up until after 1PM today..
The day that Kurt Cobian died I was a DJ (later music director) for the SUNY New Paltz college radio station WFNP (88.7 FM)..We always joked about our favorite bands. We used to joke with the production director/ (Keith Spillet who DJed the extreme metal show HEADLESS BABY on WFNP-those were the days!), Program director that Brett Gurewitz from Bad Religion called the radio station looking for him.
We would leave Keith notes: "Brett Gurewitz (of Bad Religion) called, call him back at 1-800-PUNKROCK"..
When Kurt Cobain died I thought it was a sick joke being played off by my radio station associates. I walked into SUNY New Paltz's food court and (WFNP's)  traffic director said that Kurt Cobain had killed himself. I thought it was a joke! I went upstairs to WFNP and EVERYONE was talking about Kurt Cobain's death. I didn't believe it. I told them at WFNP, "You guys need to STOP joking about this, stop f**ing with me!"
I went home, turned on my TV, flipped through channels, got to MTV, and Nirvana's unplugged was on..Then I KNEW, that he was gone, and this was NO joke..
I just sat there, shocked and stunned that this was happening..
BBL (with part 2)

At the time of Kurt Cobain's death I was on a 7 month leave of absence from college. Although I did return (after briefly moving back in with my mom and working in NYC at Tower records) to finish another semester in college. I was working as a live in mothers helper and often got called in to do fill in work for WFNP's top 40 countdown wich was unofficially co-hosted by Keith Spillet (the metal head that he was \m/) Through WFNP. I got into some great underground death metal (Amorphis, Deicide, DEATH, Morbid Angel, ect...)
I was also going through a deep personal depression and was contemplating suicide my self with already one failed attempt.
One day I was sitting down town in New Paltz with a copy Newsweek (with the cover story of Kurt Cobain's death) in my hand. A good drinking buddy (Maurine) friend of mine, walked up to me and said, "Suicide is the most SELFISH thing that a person can do to themselves and their family", and my friend went on about how that was soo selfish of Curt to do that..
I didn't know what to say..However, I'm still alive, and my life had to get worse to get better, but I really appreciate life so much more now. I've gotten help for the feelings of depression ect. that I have..
BBL with part 3



Remembering Curt Cobain (part 3)

I remember when I started off at WRNP (WFNP's AM radio station) as a dj playing METAL..There was much hype about this band Nirvana whose contract with SUBPOP got bought out by the major label Geffen. WFNP played Nirvana's Bleach when they were signed to the indie label SUBPOP. I saw Nirvana live at Roseland (NYC) once (great show, fun pit!) and enjoyed watching Nevermind rise up the billboard charts ousting Michael Jackson at the number 1 position.
It was good times indeed, but this dream I had about Curt cobain freaked me out. It IS the ten (now 20th) year anniversary of his (Cobain's) death, but I think his life should be celebrated along and the good music he left behind.It was more than Nirvana kicking those hair bands off the charts, it was the impact of an understated song called POLLY from the CD Nevermind.
Polly is a song about rape. However, in a strange twist of fate, the underdog (female) convinces the rapist to untie her, give her a cracker, HUMANIZE her.."Polly says..Polly wants a cracker, maybe I should untie her, amazes me the will of instinct..Let me clip her dirty wings, let me take a ride, cut yourself.."..
Great  anti rape song from Nirvana (as riveting but more empowering than the Tori Amos song "Me and a Gun") about humanizing a woman, a rape victim, about the woman empowering herself and changing the scenario and getting the rapist to untie her. I played this song on WFNP less than a week after Curt Cobain killed himself..None of these "commercial" radio stations had the guts to play that song.
BBL with part 4.

Remembering Curt Cobain (part 4)

Someone misconstrued the Nirvana song "Polly" and actually went out and raped a female, using the song as the soundtrack to their act of violence. This act of violence and obvious misinterpretation of the song and hatred against women infuriated Nirvana enough to call the rapists the "scumbags" that they were on the liner notes of Nirvana's second major label release In Utero.
I applaud Nirvana for writing "Polly"..
In the dream I had about Curt Cobain I told the EMT workers "Not to treat him like that" and not to show his body because "I didn't need to see that"..I must have tossed and turned for hours but didn't wake up until 1PM this afternoon. I woke up and thought about Kurt Cobain, and this being the 10 year anniversary of his death I cried a little bit..
I didn't cry back in '94 when he (Cobain) died, I was still in shock. There was also so much great death and extreme metal back in the early 90's, that Nirvana seemed, well, POP/HARD ROCK back then.
There is no shame is saying that Curt Cobain was one of the better songwriters of his time, and he had so much more to offer.
Curt Cobain was the right songwriter, for the right time, with substance, and vision, good vocals, a distorted guitar, with no gimmicks, no hairspray, in a simplistic tone, and no male chauvinistic ego.
Refreshing indeed..What more could you ask for? As there were rumors (before Cobain's death) that Curt was going to do some acoustic folk material, and that Nirvana were going to disband anyway, (Nirvana turned down Lollapalooza) and his marriage was in trouble, and some kind of failed od/suicide in Europe..Arrgh!
When I went on the air in '94, less than a week after Cobain's suicide ( I wasn't the first to announce Cobain's death on WFNP) I played "Polly" and explained the meaning or my interpretation of the song. I didn't cry, and I did my job DJ'ing in a business like, almost in a journalists fashion. (Journalism was my major at the time)..
TEN years later, it hit me in a dream how tragic Cobain's death was..I can still remember watching MTV the day of his death, and the kids at Curts memorial in a Seattle park jumping in the water, Courtney Love reading Curts suicide note, and everything seeming so surreal.
And the first time we played Nirvana on WFNP waay before Geffen signed them..We (WFNP) got a pre release copy of Nevermind and we were in the music library listening to the new Nirvana CD. When Cobain screamed in "Smells like Teen Spirit" "Our little group has always been, and always will until the end"..Even us DEATH METALHEADS, and the graduating seniors looked around the room at each other and nodded our heads, because this was OUR group, our friendship, our click, and the music scene was changing for the better. Even death metal was on the rise and everybody in the room KNEW IT!
Just like it does every day in Seattle, it's raining here in New York...I'm sure if Kurt Cobain were still alive he would concur with the late Layne Staley of perhaps the more underrated Seattle band Alice In Chains. "It's gonna rain when I die!"-AIC.
Point of reference: Check out: Tori Amos's GREAT cover of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
RIP Curt Cobain-TEE -l- \m/

Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal, STAY ALIVE-\m/ -l-