Sunday, April 6, 2014

PULVERISED RECORDS: BEHIND THE SCENES

Singapore based death metal record label PULVERISED RECORDS has posted a BEHIND THE SCENES series on the label and warehouse.
 PULVERISED RECORDS is home to DESULTORY, UNDER THE CHURCH, THE BLACK, 21 LUCIFERS, BALFOR, DENIAL, OCTOBER TIDE and more.









FROM PULVERIZED RECORDS:
 "BEHIND THE SCENE" is a series to showcase individuals who are very much involved in Singapore's underground music scene. While the scene is usually highlighted by the musicians and certain individuals, this series aims capture more of the "unsung heroes" and their stories.

Each set in this series will be paired with a short interview (5 questions max), and I do hope everyone will enjoy the photos and readings as much as I did making them.

"Behind the SCENE #2" - Pulverised Records

Buried deep within the abyss of Serangoon lies the Pulverised Records warehouse. Pulverised Records is an extreme music label that has signed and worked with an extensive list of extreme metal bands, pressing music releases to metal hungry fans worldwide. 

No one in their right mind would imagine that this had really been happening and ongoing near my house (Yes!). My impression of the dudes had always been the same with everyone else - Laid back, good looking Havaianas Models. We would engage in funny chatter at the soundboard in during gigs and it was really an honour for me to be invited and able to capture their story in summary. 

This photoshoot was divided into 2 parts. First was to showcase the warehouse. All the mess was uncensored as only they knew where stuff belonged to when there was a need for orders and stock take. We then went outdoors for a "band shoot" attempt. I thought it would be interesting for them to be potrayed this way since they see heaps of bands promo pictures daily have signed and crossed paths with so many brutal legends.

Thank you and till next time. If you guys have any suggestions on who should be featured here drop me a note! Enjoy the interview!

-----------------------------

1. Hello! You 2 look like brothers! Tell us about yourselves, and how did this Pulverised team come about?

Roy Yeo: Hello Roy here! I'm the label manager and I see to the entire daily operation of the label such as wholesale, trades, sales, and emails etc.

Calvin Chiang: Hi I’m Calvin and I handle the Artists and Repertoire (A&R) aspects of the Label. Basically the "talent scouting" process and onwards, I'll do the liaison for our current roster, handling their development needs and liaising with PR companies, graphic artists etc. working from signing to after album launch promos.

Prior to all these, the label was formed in 1996 with Roy, Ayong and Leng Hiang. No surprises there as the three of them were also in the band MUTATION. Roy resurrected the label in 2005, with the first release being OPPOSITION PARTY's "Zombified" album...

Roy: I seriously don't know why I closed the label the first time. Either I wimped out or sales was poor. Probably a bit of everything. I resurrected Pulverised because I was given the opportunity to release the OPPOSITION PARTY CD. Thinking back, I think I missed the challenge of running a label and was hoping for a second chance to make the label successful and hopefully find "another AMON AMARTH". I also then listened to a lot of local demos for potential bands and came across RASPATUL....

Calvin: ...Hence I sent him our demos (Note: Calvin plays guitars for RASPATUL), a deal didn't happened but we became good friends and before I knew it I had a Pulverised email account created for me and what started as a part time role eventually became a full time job.

Roy: His command of English is fucking good! *laugh* I needed someone to write the band stuff.


2. Pulverised has an extensive roster up that included the now famed AMON AMARTH (Sweden). How do you guys go about the process of signing bands and what are the most memorable stories?

Roy: Regarding the signing process, it begins when we take notice of a band, or through recommendations/demos. For a band we see are interested in, we would evaluate the potential in terms of both music and image. Calvin and I seldom have major disagreements in terms of such discussions and from there onwards, Calvin will contact the band to negotiate a deal.

An offer would usually consist of recording fees and a royalty agreement. We prefer to first inquire and see what the band wants before we submit the offer just so we know if it's within our budget and means...

Calvin: ...Some forget that we also have to folk out money for PR, promotion etc. It's always 2 ways in this business. Of course there are bands who ask for the sky but usually if it's a "new" band and we do like them, a deal would not be too difficult to seal.

In terms of most memorable stories... TRIBULATION was quite a big surprise for me. As soon as we announced their signing, the demand for features by various major magazines just sky rocketed. Till today, I still do not know why this happened as to me they were not considered "well known".

Roy: I remember ORATOR. They sent us an email and I honestly didn't think that a Bangladeshi band would kick so much ass. Buried with work then, I had a quick glance and dismissed the email. It was only during the following day when I was clearing my inbox I clicked the YouTube link that they sent in. I heard the track and gave Calvin a call immediately.

Calvin: ...and the rest was history. In my almost 2 decades of listening to death metal, ORATOR ranks amongst one of the best I've ever heard! Don't forget GHOST. They got in touch with us before everything else happened for them. This was through IRON LAMB who was under us then. I think the track they sent was "Death Knell"...

Roy: We honestly found the sound unsuitable for our label. So that was the end of the story.


3. What are some of your reflections about doing this extreme music as a business in Singapore. 

Roy: If I have a choice I'll be rather born American or European *laughs*. Singapore is too far and most bands we like and likely to sign are mostly from Europe. It would be great if I can "hop over" and meet the bands and other industry people and chat face to face as that is still the best way to go in any business. Shipping is also killer and has been preventing us from doing more LPs.

Calvin: Music is never ending for me, I like to move forward and not "pigeon hole" myself as there are some who get affixed too much on their favourites and forget that there is a huge world out there. I definitely become much more open minded after working here.

Roy: Cliché to say this but illegal downloads have really hit us too. Since we are a small label every cent counts. We like to brainstorm and see how we can make the label stronger with technology as many things that applies in the past do not have that much impact anymore such as flyers.. I honestly prefer getting a promo digitally as it is really convenient. How ironic! Singapore-wise, obviously we won't mind more local support. We are always on the lookout for great Singapore bands too.

Calvin: ABOLITION A.D for example is really good Singapore band that we recently signed. I watched them once and was very impressed. A Singaporean Sludge Hardcore band on our roster is enough proof that we won't say no to supporting the scene nor good music.

Roy: I'll keep Pulverised going as long as I can just for the music. The sense of satisfaction when any of our bands becomes big or signs to a major label is just awesome.


4. What is upcoming for Pulverised in the future?

Calvin: We will look into some other ventures. Merchandising, going back to getting involved in doing shows etc.

Roy: Basically we will want to do more things rather than just pressing CDs and packing the office *laughs*.


5. Finally... time for some promotion. Given your line up of bands, the list could seem intimating to casual metal fans. What bands would you recommend off your roster?

Both: Here are some of our favourites via our bandcamp. Enjoy everyone! 

INTERMENT - "Eternal Darkness" (From the album "Into The Crypts Of Blasphemy")
http://pulverised.bandcamp.com/track/eternal-darkness
Made up of the guys from Centinex, Demonical, Insision, etc. Swedish chainsaw guitar sound from hell.

EXHALE - "Wrath Unleashed" (From the album "When Worlds Collide")
http://pulverised.bandcamp.com/track/wrath-unleashed
Swedish modern Grindcore with ex-Anata, Inevitable End members, etc. Right up in the alley with the likes of Rotten Sound and Nasum.

NECROCURSE - "Death Metal Rebels" (From the album "Grip Of The Dead")
http://pulverised.bandcamp.com/track/death-metal-rebels
Featuring past and present members from Nifelheim, Runemagick, Swordmaster, etc. Blackened Heavy Thrash Metal holocaust.

OCTOBER TIDE - "The Day I Dissolved" (From the album "Tunnel Of No Light")
http://pulverised.bandcamp.com/track/the-day-i-dissolved
Melancholic Doom Metal hailing from Sweden. With members from ex-Katatonia, ex-Gorement, Centinex, etc.

DESULTORY - "Uneven Numbers" (From the album "Tunnel Of No Light")
http://pulverised.bandcamp.com/track/uneven-numbers
Legendary Swedish Death Metal reanimated in 2009/2010. No introduction needed.

BONE GNAWER - "Cannibal Cook Out" (From the album "Feast Of Flesh")
http://pulverised.bandcamp.com/track/cannibal-cook-out
Death Metal supergroup showcasing Kam Lee (ex-Massacre, ex-Death, ex-Mantas), Rogga Johansson (Paganizer, Ribspreader, Revolting, etc) and Morgan Lie (ex-Naglfar).

------------
Check out Pulverised Records online
www.pulverised.net
http://www.facebook.com/pulverisedrecords
http://stores.ebay.com/Pulverised-Records
http://www.pulverised.bigcartel.com/
http


Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ -l-