Sunday, June 28, 2015

ITP V.015 ONLY ONE PER COFFIN: R.I.P. CHRIS SQUIRE (BASSIST) YES

CHRIS SQUIRE, bassist of progressive rock legends YES has passed away to LEUKEMIA (AEL) at 67 as he was diagnosed in MAY.










YES released "Heaven and Earth" 7/16/2014 via FRONTIERS RECORDS.


ITP V.015 EDITORS NOTE: CHRIS SQUIRE and YES are a huge influence on musicianship, CHRIS will be missed.

FROM YES:
It’s with the heaviest of hearts and unbearable sadness that we must inform you of the passing of our dear friend and Yes co-founder, Chris Squire. Chris peacefully passed away last night in Phoenix Arizona. We will have more information for you soon.

 FROM GEOFFRY DOWNES (ASIA/YES): 



FROM JOHN WETTON (ASIA): 




FROM SWEET RELIEF: 




FROM BLACK SABBATH (ONLINE): 





FROM TOM MORELLO (RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE): 







FROM TOOL: 







FROM CIRCA SURVIVE: 







FROM ADRIAN BELOW: 







FROM GEEZER  BUTLER (BLACK SABBATH): 







FROM FRANK BELLO (ANTHRAX): 





FROM JASON BONHAM (BONHAM, LED ZEPPELIN): 







FROM JOE SATRIANI: 





FROM 3 INCHES OF BLOOD: 










FROM BRUCE KULICK (KISS): 





FROM DAVE MUSTAINE (MEGADETH): 







ROBERT TRUJILLO (METALLICA): 







FROM DAVID ELLEFSON (MEGADETH): 









FROM RUDY SARZO (OZZY OSBOURNE): 

FROM MIKE PORTNOY (FORMALLY OF DREAM THEATER): 





FROM BILL BRUFORD (YES):
Really saddened to hear of the death of my old Yes band-mate, Chris Squire. I shall remember him fondly; one of the twin rocks upon which Yes was founded and, I believe, the only member to have been present and correct, Rickenbacker at the ready, on every tour. He and I had a working relationship built around our differences. Despite, or perhaps because of, the old chestnut about creative tension, it seemed, strangely, to work.
He had an approach that contrasted sharply with the somewhat monotonic, immobile bass parts of today. His lines were important; counter-melodic structural components that you were as likely to go away humming as the top line melody; little stand-alone works of art in themselves. Whenever I think of him, which is not infrequently, I think of the over-driven fuzz of the sinewy staccato hits in Close to the Edge (6’04” and on) or a couple of minutes later where he sounds like a tuba (8’.00”). While he may have taken a while to arrive at the finished article, it was always worth waiting for. And then he would sing a different part on top.
An individualist in an age when it was possible to establish individuality, Chris fearlessly staked out a whole protectorate of bass playing in which he was lord and master. I suspect he knew not only that he gave millions of people pleasure with his music, but also that he was fortunate to be able to do so. I offer sincere condolences to his family.
Adios, partner. Bill.

FROM RUSH:
We are saddened to learn of the passing of legendary rock bassist Chris Squire, co-founder of the band Yes.
Geddy offered a few words about what Chris meant to him as a bass player:
“Although we never met, I’m so sorry to hear about Chris Squire from Yes passing. As a bass player and innovator on the instrument he was a huge inspiration to me. Simply put, he was one of the greatest rock bassists of all time. My most sincere condolences to his family and friends.”



FROM OPETH: 


A few days ago we’re reached by the sad news that Chris Squire had passed away. It’s hard to fathom. One of my very first progressive rock records I ever bought was ”Close to the edge”, if it wasn’t the very first. One thing is for sure and that’s that Yes introduced a whole new world of music to me that I didn’t know existed. Changed me. Changed the way I think about music. Changed how I write music. Changed my record collection. My preferences. Chris Squire certainly had a great part in that. And I’m just one Yes fan in a legion of millions. Thank you Chris from us in Opeth. Condolences to his family and bandmates.













Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ -l-