RITA HANEY, (DARRELL "DIMEBAG" ABBOTT'S WIDOW) has posted this statement via INSTAGRAM regarding PHILIP H. ANSELMO'S behavior during DIMEBASH 2016 and MACHINE HEAD guitarist/vocalist ROBB FLYNN'S recently published video criticizing PHIL ANSELMO'S actions.
PHILIP H. ANSELMO (formerly of PANTERA, currently of DOWN, THE ILLEGALS, SUPERJOINT) has posted a video apology after sieg heiling and screaming "WHITE POWER!" as he was lead off the stage via former TYPE O NEGATIVE (current DANZIG) drummer JOHNNY KELLY at the end of DIMEBASH 2016.
Many artists and metal webzines including METALSUCKS, CVLT NATION, MACHINE HEAD, ALL SHALL PERISH and more have spoken out against PHIL ANSELMO's actions at DIMEBASH 2016 and racism.
DIMEBASH 2016 (a benefit in the name of late PANTERA guitarist DARRELL "DIMEBAG" ABBOTT) , 1/22/2016 @ LUCKY STRIKE LIVE HOLLYWOOD, L.A. CALIFORNIA featured
PHILIP H. ANSELMO (PANTERA, DOWN, THE ILLEGALS), DAVE LOMBARDO (FORMERLY OF SLAYER), ROBERT TRUJILLO (METALLICA) and DAVE GROHL (FORMERLY OF NIRVANA, FOO FIGHTERS) as they jammed a cover of the MOTORHEAD classic "ACE OF SPADES".
Also, REX BROWN (former PANTERA bassist), PHILIP H. ANSELMO and MACHINE HEAD and more jammed on a rendition of the PANTERA classic "WALK".
DIMEBASH was a fund raiser for (late DIO vocalist) RONNIE JAMES DIO'S SHOUT OUT CANCER FUND in collaboration with RIDE FOR DIME.
FROM NICK BOWCOTT (MUSIC DIRECTOR OF DIMEBASH 2016):
from our dear friend Mr. Nick Bowcott -
DIMEBASH 2016: WHAT IT WAS REALLY ABOUT…LEST WE FORGET. CELEBRATION, CHARITY, UNITY & FUN!
Darn, this is gonna be a long one. Sorry, folks…
Politics, race, religion, sexuality & who or what “sucks” today: they’re all hot beds of often heated debate in bars, on TV, in newspapers and, nowadays, Social Media. Sadly (and sometimes, thankfully!!), much of the often self-righteous outrage voiced is purely verbal and no actual “let’s actually try and fix this” action is ever taken. People invariably rant via their keyboards, hit “send” or “post” and then celebrate their “I give a damn stance” by throwing a “meal” in the microwave and then playing video games or watching TV…
To my great sorrow, Dimebash 2016 seems to have become embroiled in ugliness. As a longtime performer (“I am not worthy!”) and co-Music Director with the amazing Rita Haney (an honour that I do not take for granted, or lightly) , I sincerely hope that the resulting collateral-damage that is now the heated Social Media aftermath DOES NOT DETRACT FROM THE REAL REASON DIMEBASH EXISTS. And that is simply these three (for those who knew Dime – it HAS TO BE 3!!):
1. TO CELEBRATE THE LIFE & LEGACY OF A TRULY GREAT & MUCH BELOVED WHO IS SADLY NO LONGER WITH US: DARRELL LANCE ABBOTT, A.K.A. DIMEBAG.
2. TO RAISE MONEY FOR A FAR BEYOND WORTHY CAUSE – THE “STAND UP & SHOUT” CANCER FOUNDATION – IN THE NAME OF ANOTHER MUCH LOVED & MISSED ROCK LEGEND: RONNIE JAMES DIO.
3. (AND THIS ONE IS PURELY MINE, FOLKS): TO EMBRACE THE REMARKABLE BROTHERHOOD & SISTERHOOD THE METAL COMMUNITY HAS BOTH ON AND OFF STAGE, AND UNIT US FOR A WONDERFUL CELEBRATION WHILE RAISING MONEY FOR CHARITY. THE MEDIA LOVES TO BASH US AND DOES SO AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY – TO (MIS) QUOTE TOMMY VICTOR: EVENTS LIKE DIMEBASH “PROVE THEM WRONG.” OUR UNITY IS OUR INDEFATIGABLE STRENGTH.
Sadly, the unfortunate actions and words of that took place after the music had stopped, appear to have cast an ominously, dark shadow over an otherwise, truly remarkable event. I didn’t witness this (I was too busy thanking the countless artists and volunteers who graciously gave their time and energy to a hugely successful and sold-out CELEBRATION) in real time but I have, of course, since seen the clip and the resulting debates and outrage...
While not being willing to enter the vortex of opinions by standing on a Social Media soapbox (they’re all the exact same height and everyone’s megaphone has the same volume, BTW) and ranting from the relative safety of my computer, tablet or phone keyboard…I will say this: I absolutely do not approve of or condone the two words spoken or the actions taken. I hate racism and prejudice in their many, often insidiously cloaked, forms (including the “reverse” varieties) and do not want to comment on other things allegedly said as I didn’t witness them. For the record – there was white wine in the Green Room (it didn’t last long…LOL!) but its presence is absolutely NO excuse…and it was ultimately, probably partly and innocently responsible…
I will however close by saying three (it has to be 3 for the DBD rationale previously mentioned!) things:
1. PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS DEBACLE BLUR THE REAL REASONS DIMEBASH EXISTS: namely to celebrate life (ours and those no longer with us), have fun (on and off stage), unite us in positive actions, and raise money for a worthy cause. Remember to quote 3 (LOL!) famous but fictitious guys: “United we stand, Divided we fall.”
2. To express a SINCERE THANK YOU to all the many artists, techs (Rem Massingill - you kicked major ass brother, you rule), volunteers (Jessica Hill - you ruled with an iron hand & clip-board, LOL!!), sponsors (the almighty Monster Energy: Brent Hamilton & Co: you rule, much respect & gratitude), our MC (Jose Mangin - you were goddamned electric, my friend!) and all the fans who made 99.9% of Dimebash 2016 a truly memorable (for the RIGHT reasons) success and a night to always remember. “Ace of Spades” alone was a celebration of Lemmy’s incredible life by a quartet that may never perform together again…and we witnessed it. Damn!
I personally judge the success of each DIME EVENT I’m involved in by one simple criteria: that every artist and volunteer arrives happy and leave even happier. I’m delighted to say that, with sadly, one notable exception – that was indeed the case with Dimebash 2016. The smiles, the hugs, the hand-shakes, the high-fives, the toasts, the texts and phone calls of “that ruled” were deafening. The joy of the many fans I spoke to before, during and after the event was also beyond heart-warming. When I left the venue @ 3am (LOL), the sight of 3 (LOL#3) friends - Rita, Philip and the one-and-only Mr. Dave Grohl - having so much fun backstage meant the world to me. So, I repeat: THANK YOU...each and everyone involved - on-stage, side-stage, back-stage or off-stage!
3. And this final one is just me, folks: voicing outrage is a basic human right. Words without actions, however, are hollow (good name for a song!) and meaningless. There are many horrible wrongs we can NOT right, BUT…right now, regardless of wherever you live, within a 5 mile radius I can guarantee you of one thing: there IS someone HOMELESS and there ARE those who are HUNGRY – and many of them are tragically kids. And homelessness is a indiscriminate plight that cares not about your race, gender or beliefs. So, switch off your goddamned computer, leave the comfort of the abode you are blessed to dwell in, get in your car and then: i) spend a few bucks on food and give it to a shelter, or ii) buy water and actually give it to some folks in need. On the last Saturday of every month, a group I’m part of take clothes, food and water to the tear-inducing amount of homeless folk who lurk in down-town Phoenix – mere blocks from the financial district, ironically. It's a humbling, grounding and often heart-wrenching trip. Doing this one morning a month is NOT ENOUGH because I should and could do more…a lot more…but at least it’s better than letting just my thumbs do the talking. As a man much wiser than me once said – “judge a tree by the fruit it actually bears, not by the fruit it promises…” I need to bear more, dammit!
RIP DIME & RJD…& LEMMY
PEACE & BIG LOVE TO ALL,
Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ -l-