Friday, October 7, 2005

Moshing PART TWO (repost plus commentary)

Moshing part 2
"I like to swim, swim, into the mosh, kicking and stroking, so I don't get squashed"-Fishbone
"Swimming"=crowd surfing BTW.
My chosen style of moshing is the "Ninja/Karate" pits although I'm NOT into hardcore/or metal core as much as I'm into extreme metal (death, black, doom, grind, thrash).
I DO throw air punches, spinkicks, and windmills, and on rare ocassion I stage dive with a liberal dose of crowd surfing. However, I would like to clarify that my punches, kicks, and windmills rarely make intentional contact (unlike others). I (and others) require space to do our thang. I expect the same from others that engage in "ninja karate" pits, to NOT intentionally make contact with punches and kicks. This, and other styles of moshing, after all, is simply argressive dancing to aggressive music.
At shows,  I tend to conform to the style of moshing in my fave genre or scene (extreme metal), or the show that I'm at. In my scene, extreme metal, the mosh pits are basically push pits. Although I don't like push pits, specifically if it's a bunch of jocks., I've learned a few moves (by way of watching defensive ends and linebackers) specifically the "swim" move (in football) wich helps me move past these 200 lb "moshers". Quick hands, a good angle and a spin are key.       
One more rule of thumb in the pit. If you're SHORT (like me), be careful (in ninja pits) of tall guys throwing spin kicks. A spin kick from a taller mosher can kick you in the head (due to leg reach) Once I was accidently kicked in the head while standing on the outside of the circle. I blacked out for a few seconds (standing 8 count, lol) but NEVER fell down, and was fine.
Short people whom throw spinkicks can accidently kick taller moshers in the balls. (due to lack of leg reach)                                                                             Thanks-Stay Metal, Brootal, Stay TROO-Thanks-Tee-\m/
-l-