Saturday, February 13, 2010

ITP UPDATE: TOXIC SITE IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD?




On a kind of humorous antidote, the entire neighborhood got a notice from the DEC about some "hazardous waste" and toxic site around the corner from where I live. The DEC are monitoring the groundwater around the corner from where I live as HRC (hydrogen releasing compounds) were injected into the groundwater to treat volatile organic compounds (VOCS) in groundwater ans soil. Location: around Stop and Shop to be correct. According to the DEC, "The site no longer poses a threat to the environment and public health as long as the VOC's associated present continue the downward trend to groundwater standards".
  1. "Mitigation measures were taken at New Paltz Plaza via the installation of nine sub slab depressurization (SSD) systems within the Shopping Center to address potential indoor air contamination of VOC's associated with soil vapor intrusion", quote straight from the DEC and the notice WE got. I'm not sure how to interpret this, or how it effects residents in the neighborhood, if at all, or the surrounding environment.
Also the DEC said, "Drinking contaminated groundwater is also not expected because the Shopping Center buildings and immediately adjacent properties are connected to the available public water supply".
The old Ames Plaza building was torn down in it's entirety asbestos and all, for a drama of a project to build stop and shop around the corner, as unions struck, Meadobrooks residents pathway was obstructed in and out the complex and I was injured tripping over a tree to get back home, and finally Stop and Shop was built and open for business in July of 2006.
My family suggested a water filter for drinking water, as it better to use that, as I'm chronically dehydrated as I drink fruit juice and some coffee, no alcohol.
In short, most people don't drink water straight from the ground, only animals as we have reservoirs to filter out our water supply. Of course that brings up the inside joke on the video featured in the "culture of sports" journal entry, the one on "New Yorkers". While the dude featured in the video (the new yorker is RIGHT, in a way, despite the ego) as I'm originally from Manhattan, NYC. New York City's water supply is good, and is treated with chlorine, although my family in New York City still use water filters. The irony of this is that MOST of New York City's water supply comes from the reservoirs in the Hudson Valley area. In contrast, the water here in the Hudson valley area, just 90 minutes up the New York state thruway is variable, depending on the town you live in. Stone Ridge, High Falls often have sulfer/hard water as I've had friends battle it out with landlords to filter out wells for years. In fact, in NYC, the primary, water supply, at least for Manhattan is the reservoir in Central Park. The irony of this, the vast of majority of NYC's water supply is supplied via the reservoirs in the Hudson Valley area as the Central Park reservoir is the minimal of NYC's water supply.
This issue is unrelated, but last year, New Paltz, NY's Mayor Terry Dungan froze the village of New Paltz's budget and sued the town of New Paltz (two separate municipalities) for over charging and double billing residents and property owners for water and blah, blah, blah.
Back in '99, I had a friend visit me from Georgia whom lived for years in Ulster County, as we went to some cool swimming holes in Ulster County. He pulled his vehicle over near the Roundout up in Kingston (right where the boats are, I'm not sure what route that is) and found a hose. With confusion I looked at him with a WHA?, as he got out of his car and filled his coffee mug with water, and gave me a taste...and is was the best drinking water I ever had in my life. It felt so good to drink fresh water on that hot summer day. "Shmoo" has long past away , and RIP to him, and I'm still wondering where he found that water hose, in such a remote location of Kingston, just random and still confused on how he found this hose, lol.
I think water supply and the quality of depends on location and economics in America. I think that's sad, that NYC, with his high rent, high population gets the benefit of the doubt compared to the suburbs just 90 minutes north wich supplies it's water as the filtering of the supply of water is mucho better in NYC.. The irony of all of this. of course this poorer communities, around the corner from Stop and Shop and the projects where I live get the shaft.
I hope the environment of my neighborhood improves on every level, as I feel sorry for the deer, groundhogs, rabbits and overall natural habitat of my 'hood. Please do NOT urbanize this town, it's already being ruined by urban development.
Although I'm not a fan of the Village board of my town, the previous administration (village board up to 2007) did NOTHING about the contamination in my neighborhood wich you would expect them to take on such issues with their usual tree hugging poses but instead grand standed on such political issues as the war in Iraq, gay marriages and their own political ambitions. I may agree that gay marriages should be legal, and the war in Iraq is over oil, but what about here. This is why my apathy in voting for my local town politicians, is just that.
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090525/NEWS/905250326

http://www.ulsterpublishing.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article&articleID=504572
FROM THE NEW PALTZ TIMES 12/30/2009: As for her particular vision for the upcoming two years, Hokanson reiterated her commitment to establishing a town water supply, independent of the village water supply, which is contracted with New York City from the aqueduct which draws water from the Ashokan Reservoir



Think globally, act locally.
Thanks-Stay Metal Stay Brutal-Pushing the best of 2009 and assorted stuff back to early March
of 2009, certain features will be later than sooner.
Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ -l-