Wednesday, May 26, 2010

ITP: ONE PER COFFIN: (METAL DEATH NOTICES)



ITP EDITORS NOTE: A freind a mine once had a screen name entitled "One Per Coffin", as I found that SN morbidly, humorous as you can only fit one in a coffin. ITP author is still on the fence about a new feature with the aforementioned title, as to respect the dead, celebrate the life of the deceased and their accomplishments. IF ITP author adds "ONE PER COFFIN" as a new ITP feature, it is ONLY out of respect for the deceased and not to encourage, or endorse any self destructive behavior and we're not judging the circumstances of any musician, artist or entertainers death. (Photo above: Debbie Abono with Lars Ulrich and Kirk Hammett from METALLICA (photo credit: Harald Oimoen)
RIP to you all. HUMANITY IS DOOMED, DAMNED IN BLACK, and NOTES FROM THE EXTREME METAL UNDERGROUND coming up next.
FROM COLOSSEUM MYSPACE:

Juhani Palomäki’s musical career, including the composition of eight full-length

albums for Yearning and Colosseum, has ended as he was found deceased on

Saturday May 15th 2010. His final composition, Colosseum’s recently recorded

third album, Chapter 3: Parasomnia, shall be released as planned, in order to honour

Juhani’s memory.

This also marks the end of Colosseum as a band, but Juhani’s musical genius and

artistic integrity shall nevertheless forever live on, both on his records and in our

hearts. We have lost a brilliant musician and a true friend, who will be greatly missed

not only by us, but by his loved ones and countless people all around the world who

have been touched by his art.

Farewell, Juhani. May you rest in peace.
FROM BLABBERMOUTH.NET:
Juhani Palomäki, the main musical force behind the Finnish bands YEARNING and COLOSSEUM, was found dead on Saturday, May 15. He was 32 years old. His final work — COLOSSEUM's recently recorded third album, "Chapter 3: Parasomnia" — will be released as a way to honor his memory. This will mark the end of COLOSSEUM as a band, but Juhani's musical genius and artistic integrity will live on.

Commented the surviving members of COLOSSEUM: "We have lost a brilliant musician and a true friend, who will be greatly missed not only by us, but by his loved ones and countless people all around the world who have been touched by his art."

A Facebook memorial page has been launched at this location.

In 1994, the Finnish atmospheric doom metal outfit FLEGETON (pre-YEARNING) was established by vocalist/guitarist Juhani Palomäki and drummer Toni Kristian. In 2006, Palomäki founded the funeral doom act COLOSSEUM, which has released two albums thus far.

COLOSSEUM's third CD, "Chapter 3: Parasomnia", will feature five lengthy epics and will be made available in the fall through Firebox Records.
FROM BLABBERMOUTH.NET:
RIP DEBBIE ABONO first manager of METALLICA, EXODUS, TESTAMENT:
WOMEN IN METAL RULE!
Debbie Abono, a well-respected and much-loved manager and promotional machine behind some of San Francisco Bay Area's strongest metal bands (POSSESSED, FORBIDDEN, EXODUS, VIO-LENCE, SKINLAB), passed away yesterday (Sunday, May 16) at approximately 9:59 a.m. PST after a battle with cancer. She was 80 years old.

Commented EXODUS guitarist Gary Holt: "I have to say what a heartbreaking moment it is for me to have learned that Debbie is no longer with us. She was extremely instrumental to EXODUS, both in our early years and again during our reunion with [late EXODUS vocalist] Paul [Baloff] in '97. We could not have done a lot of the things we did without her help and generosity. The tour with VENOM and SLAYER would not have been possible, as well as our first U.S. tour without her help. She is, and always will be, a true Bay Area metal legend, and no one has done more for that young upstart thrash scene than she. She will be greatly missed — by EXODUS, as well as so many, many other bands she had worked tirelessly for. Words don't really do justice to what she has meant to us.

"All the love and support to her family at their time of need from us and the entire Bay Area metal scene. We all love you, Debbie."

Stated FORBIDDEN guitarist Craig Locicero: "[Sunday was] a very, very sad day for all of FORBIDDEN past and present. We lost our first manager, mentor and mother to us all in Debbie Abono.

"I have many stories to share once I gather myself off of the floor. Most of them are pretty funny, too.

"We had great times together and she showed FORBIDDEN the ropes.

"I was lucky enough to get a message to her in her last days. She knew how much she meant to FORBIDDEN and to me. I did get many chances to visit her over the last few years, too. I am very grateful for that.

"We are forever indebted to Debbie for all she did and most importantly the love and wisdom she instilled in us.

"FORBIDDEN is dedicating our new record to Debbie in her honor. So from all of us, this one is for you!

"Rest in Peace, Debbie. You beautiful soul!"

Maria Ferrero (pictured below with Debbie) of Adrenaline P.R. told BLABBERMOUTH.NET: "[Debbie] lived an incredible, brave, courageous, beautiful, giving life right to the end. She touched more people than we can count and more people that even know her. We also gave her an immeasurable amount of pleasure and happiness.

"I feel none of us would be here if it weren't for Deb — from METALLICA to GREEN DAY to POSSESSED to VIO-LENCE, OBITUARY, FORBIDDEN, MACHINE HEAD, etc. She believed in us when no one else did and when Debbie Abono told me, 'Maria, you're amazing' after about the 50th time, I started to believe, 'Maybe I am amazing, I better now BE amazing!'

"I know I'm not alone."

According to David Konow, author of the "Bang Your Head: The Rise And Fall Of Heavy Metal", Debbie Abono was in her mid-fifties when she began to manage a band named POSSESSED. Abono started taking her daughters to MOTÖRHEAD shows, where the members of POSSESSED first asked her to manage the band. "There's nothing to it," they told her. "All you gotta do is get us shows." Abono agreed and even allowed them to practice at her house.

POSSESSED's association with Debbie Abono would be a "first" for both sides: Abono would be the band's first manager, and POSSESSED were Abono's first managed band. Abono had no previous connection to heavy metal music other than as a concert designated driver for her daughters, one of whom was a girlfriend of guitarist Larry LaLonde. Due to generation gap, Abono also had limited awareness of the sometimes blasphemous themes of heavy metal, and was allegedly offended upon reading the lyric sheet of "Seven Churches". Nevertheless, she agreed to manage and represent POSSESSED as long as bassist/vocalist Jeff Becerra and LaLonde finished high school commitments. Although the group's relationship amongst themselves and their first manager would reach points of discord and eventual termination, Abono would go on to manage additional bands in the Bay Area metal scene like EXODUS, VIO-LENCE and FORBIDDEN EVIL (pre-FORBIDDEN), as well as death metal bands like Chicago's BROKEN HOPE and Florida's CYNIC and OBITUARY.




"Yesterday, May 16th, 2010 was by far one of the saddest days for me and a whole lot of other people around the world. We lost Debbie Abono, one of the most beautiful people the world will ever know but heaven has definitely gained an ANGEL!!!!

"I was 21 when I met Debbie and moved out to the Bay Area from New York with $400.00 and a duffel bag to join I4NI along with Bobby Gustafson [OVERKILL] and Tom Hunting [EXODUS]. I was just a kid and so green and clueless when I got there but Debbie took me in and introduced me to everybody in the Bay Area and made me feel like I had been there my entire life. I used to sit with her and just listen to ALL of her stories about POSSESSED, VIO-LENCE, EXODUS... You name it, I heard the stories and the way she told them you can just hear it in her voice how much she loved everyone she worked with.

"We were all her kids, without a doubt.

"I remember being a 13-year-old kid and always reading the inside covers of all my albums and always seeing her name right at the top of the thank-you lists and always wondered who she was and what was so special about her. Well, a few years later I found out exactly why her name was on top — simply because she is, was and always will be the BEST!!!!

"She taught me so much about the music industry and what to look out for and was always there to give me advice if I needed it.

"I am so proud to have been able to have known Debbie these past 16 years of my life and cherish every moment I got to spend with her. I'll never forget her telling me I was her adopted son and just yelling at me if I got out of line… 'FATTORUSOOOOOOO'... The way she would say it will ring in my head forever.

"Thank you, Debbie, for being my second Mom and introducing me to so many amazing people who have become lifelong friends and family. I will never forget you and I love you!!!!"
EX BROKEN HOPE GUITARIST:






"I was bummed to hear about Debbie Abono — manager extraordinaire — passing away.

"I imagine Debbie is managing Ronnie James Dio right now, up in heaven, until Wendy Dio can make up there to take charge.

"I met Debbie Abono when I was a teenager. I had already knew about her early work managing POSSESSED, and when FORBIDDEN and EXODUS came through my town (Waukegan, Illinois), I got to meet her and pick her brain about everything metal and how cool it was that she managed such awesome bands.

"In the early '90s, I was on my first North American tour with BROKEN HOPE and we were set to play Berkeley, California. Our bassist — Shaun Glass [now with DIRGE WITHIN; formerly of SOIL] — was an old friend of Debbie's, so he contacted her when we got to the Bay Area and she came out to visit us. Debbie told us we all looked like we needed hugs and something to eat.

"Let me tell you, after 50 dates in a cargo van with no A/C or rear seats, we needed big hugs and mental help!

"That day, Debbie took us out for a nice dinner and told us she'd like to guide us when out next album came out. On our third album — 'Repulsive Conception'Debbie stepped in and managed BROKEN HOPE for that entire period. Debbie coordinated our tour solicitations and guarantees, she worked out our tour support, she sometimes paid for our hotel rooms, she bought Shaun a bass head when his gear died, she even set up her own toll-free phone number so we could call her from any pay phone free of charge! On top of all this, she gave me hard-as-nails career advice and she never, ever charged BROKEN HOPE one cent or her work — she only wanted to help us out.
FROM MACHINEHEAD:
"Yesterday was a very sad day for metal.

"I am devastated at the passing of Debbie Abono and words aren't coming very clear for me right now.

"Debbie was like a second mom to me, and having never lost a family member yet, this is very difficult.

"Debbie managed VIO-LENCE [Flynn's pre-MACHINE HEAD band], and toured with us in a van as manager, tour manager, mom, friend, and facilitator. Phil [Demmel; current MACHINE HEAD and former VIO-LENCE guitarist] and I were her roommates at crummy Motel 6's across America.

"Thinking back on it now, touring with a bunch of snot-nosed thrash metal-ers for two months at a time in a van, playing crummy clubs, isn't the usual course most 55-year-old ladies take in their lives, but she was no ordinary 55-year-old lady. She was fiery, feisty, charming, funny, and could look a person over in about two seconds and find something to joke about / roast them about should they wanted to test her.

"She was one of the biggest forces behind the thrash and early-death-metal movements than I think most people will ever realize.

"I dated her daughter Gina, and I lived at her house in Pinole on and off in my late teens, and even after Gina and I broke up, she gave me an incredible amount of belief and advice once MACHINE HEAD started.

"My wife Genevra and I used to go out to dinner with her fairly regularly, especially before kids, and she was there the next day after my boys were born. She always came to our parties.

"She was so proud of what we accomplished. Most importantly, she believed in me, even right up until the end.

"The last time we spoke, she told me how much she loved me, and that 'my money is on Robb Flynn.'

"Fuck. What the fuck. I'm crying.

"Rest in peace, Debbie."
R.I.P. to ALL: Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ -l-


UPDATE YOUR PROFILE LOGOUT Latest News News Archive CD Reviews DVD Reviews Contact Submit News Advertise Wireless

UPDATE YOUR PROFILE LOGOUT Latest News News Archive CD Reviews DVD Reviews Contact Submit News Advertise Wireless