Tuesday, March 14, 2023

CAUSTIC: "I'm 13 years sober today."

May be an image of text that says 'CAUSTIC REPETITION 3SON SONGS' 

Industrial/EBM artist CAUSTIC is celebrating 13 years of sobriety. .

 

 CAUSTIC is set to release "REPETITION + 3 SONGS", due to be unleashed 3/31/2023.

 

 

 

FROM CAUSTIC: 

 

I'm 13 years sober today.
At this point there are probably more people that know Caustic as a sober thang than when I was drunk. Good times were had, but after a while drinking became a severe problem for me.
The night I finally chose to get sober we played a local show. I was supposed to go home right afterwards but instead came out of a blackout in the back of the club at 4AM. Needless to say I was presented with a choice by my incredibly worried and angry partner when I was dropped off at home. I chose to quit drinking. I was done.
Truthfully I'd been hoping for that kick in the head for sometime. Listen to "...And You Will Know Me By The Trail of Vomit" if you want to know where my head was at. I finished it right before I got sober. I was done then but simply needed that oft mentioned "moment of clarity". I'm grateful to this day for my wife not just changing the locks. She didn't owe me another chance.
I was very fortunate that, so far, I haven't gone back. I have no plans to, but the more people you know and more stories you hear it's very, very common for people to relapse. Some are able to get back on the wagon. Some go back to hell. A lot have tragically ended up killing themselves. I don't get cocky.
It's been incredibly important to me in being public about this since day one to say that I don't hate drinking-- I just really, really sucked at it. I have impulse and dopamine issues thanks to ADHD and a family history on both sides with alcoholism and addiction AND depression, so basically I was screwed from the start.
I don't hate drinking. I don't hate drugs, though those were fortunately never my thing as much as the bottle. I also never wanted to preach about getting sober and being that annoying judgemental, self-righteous fuck who everyone can't stand because they aren't even FUN anymore. Nope. Drink if you want. Do drugs if you want. Just be careful and take care of each other. Especially with the drugs. Fentanyl is the fucking worst these days.
It's important to know that if you think you have a problem you aren't alone. There is so much help out there, whether it be free/cheap programs or inpatient/outpatient services that ideally your insurance will cover. You aren't alone and you CAN do this. Many I know were way farther into their addiction than I was-- homeless or in jail again and again for drinking. Some lost children or other loved ones to drugs and they STILL stayed sober. Those people are my heroes.
Getting sober doesn't make life perfect, but it made it immensely better for me and my loved ones. I rarely even think about drinking anymore. Sure, I miss the taste of a few drinks, but fortunately it's been long enough that I can't even imagine going back. Again though, I don't get cocky.
If you ever need someone to talk to just message me. I may take a bit to get back to you but I'm happy to talk and offer options or just listen. It's incredibly hard to do this alone, and whatever works for you is the best route to take as long as you can get there. Just don't give up. Please. I've seen too many really amazing people give up and it's heartbreaking.
You can quit drinking and still be creative and fun and cool...or in my case not much more UNcool. 😉
If I did it anyone can. Trust me.
Thanks, and thanks to everyone for all the support over the last 13 years. I was so attached to my drinking persona with Caustic that I thought I was going to lose a ton of fans, but you all have been incredible.
This is why I stick by you-- you stuck by me.
Love to you all.
-Matt
 
Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ -l-