Monday, February 27, 2006

Jason West and Gay Marriages in New Paltz, NY two years ago today

Soo. It was about two years ago today, or this week that New Paltz, NY Mayor Jason West solemnized gay marriages. Me being not straight, and your average jaded New Yorker, I didn't blink and eye. After reading (in the newspaper) gay marriages were being solemnized in New Paltz NY, I  said "Cool"..
The controversy started when Jason West was subsequently arrested for gawd knows how many counts of solemnized gay marriages, to my shock and bewilderment... The whole issue of gay marriage became a mainstream media debate, putting this sleepy college town (New Paltz, NY that I've lived in since 1988) on the "politically correct" map. During a 2004 rally at Peace Park in New Paltz, NY, I felt like a deer caught in headlights as I NEVER saw so much media (with the exception of growing up in NYC) in one place in my life, lol.
The gay marriages were by far and away, the most heartening and coolest thing I've seen in New Paltz, NY ..
New Paltz, NY Deputy Mayor Rebecca Rotzler, whom has been a long time friend of mine got a high five from me.. During the gay marriage's I commented, "You didn't tell me you were going to do that!" Anyway, cheers, shots, and hugs all around, lol.
I had a few (funny) marriage proposals from straight friends, whom were like, "No, let's do this, let's get married, just for the principle of it!" I answered "Thank you, but that's a very "personal" decision (of life long commitment) and aren't YOU engaged to married to some dude, lmao..It would be very nice to have the option for the ideal of consolidating resources for future mates"... My mom loved hearing of the gay marriages in New Paltz, NY was very inspired, and I got phone calls, e-mails from friends and family  from all over the country and world... Friend's of mine from Europe wondered why our President lobbied against gay marriage..Perhaps the issue of gay marriage was  (no pun intended) the "swing vote" in the 2004 presidential elections..
Of course the backlash in the last ensuing years is that neo conservatives and nazi's have targeted New Paltz, NY (and the surrounding area) and it's "liberal aesthetic" for bashing...Strange indeed, because I pay no attention to either nazi's, the religious right, or the hypocritical, self centered,  egocentric, burn out hippies. I'm my own person and I would chase those conservatives outta town if I had the chance..The few black leaders in the Hudson Valley Area seemed indifferent or on the fence about gay marriage..One Black History Professor at Suny New Paltz, NY felt that gays could be closeted and could not feel the oppression that African Americans feel because of (more visible) skin color. That statement from Dr. Willams Myers is true but not practical, for one it leaves out the community of gays and lesbains of color and the subsequent discrimination WE feel.. Second,  that statement doesn't promote unity. Perhaps the nature of the oppression that "straight" blacks feel is different (compared to white gays), but the source of the oppression is the same.
I hate it when our community eats it's own, and when white gays feel discriminatory against those with disabilities (or African Americans), or African Americans feel discriminatory towards gays or "other" minority groups. That divide and rule tactic is just how a neo conservative like George Bush Jr.. gets elected, and this division amongst the ranks and fighting over breadcrumbs is why George "The shrub" Bush Jr. has walked with the pie and we are left with the smoke screen of the Iraq War as even Roe Vs. Wade is up (ugh, arrg, again) for debate in one state in this nation..
As libertarians say, "I want big government out of my personal life and to stop legislating morality". Are we living in some neo nazi, religious right dictatorship? Time warp to late 1940's almost McCarthyism.. Omg. I almost thanked the metal gods and goddesses I was born too late and was the beneficiary of the Civil Rights movement. Let's NOT turn back the hands of time, stay united.  Let's NOT repeal those civil rights gains, and keep progressing..
Has New Paltz, NY mayor Jason West had his 15 minutes of fame? Yeh, probably with an autobiographical book to his name and sex symbol status in mainstream zines... However, let's hope all those whom were denied marriages simply because they were/are gay take this issue to the supreme court to see justice  done... That's of course if you believe in love, justice and civil rights..Anyway, a shot of the best CZECH Republic vodka "Becherovka" (a fine after dinner drink but NOT Absinthe, the green fairy has yet to visit me) to celebrate the second anniversary of gay marriages here in New Paltz.

Thanks-Tee-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal, Get out those wedding rings, lol \m/ -l-