Friday, February 5, 2016

PEPPER KEENAN (BASS- CORROSION OF CONFORMITY, DOWN): "I am saddened and confused by the behavior of Philip Anselmo last week. I do not condone what was gestured and said. This lapse in judgment of “making a joke” was in terribly poor taste and unacceptable. That philosophy is the opposite of what I am about. My heart follows love and soul and my music has been inspired from people of all walks of life and musical styles. I view music as a gift that is universal and intended for all of humanity. As a proud New Orleanian, life is about celebrating diversity through music, it’s about bringing people together, not tearing apart."

PEPPER KEENAN, bassist of New Orleans, Louisiana metal bands CORROSION OF CONFORMITY and DOWN has sent this statement regarding PHILIP H. ANSELMO'S behavior during DIMEBASH 2016.
Yesterday, PHILIP H. ANSELMO (formerly of PANTERA, currently of DOWN, THE ILLEGALS, SUPERJOINT) has sent (another) apology regarding his behavior at DIMEBASH 2016. In consequence to PHIL ANSELMO's behavior at DIMEBASH 2016, his band DOWN was kicked off FORTAROCK 2016 via the festivals promoters.




Also, in consequence of PHIL ANSELMOS behavior during DIMEBASH 2016, DOWN'S (featuring PHIL ANSELMO) 2/8/2016 hometown show at the NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA  CIVIC CENTER has been cancelled by the venue and promoters.




Late last month, PHIL ANSELMO issued a video apology after sieg heiling and screaming "WHITE POWER!" as he was lead off the stage via former TYPE O NEGATIVE (current DANZIG) drummer JOHNNY KELLY at the end of DIMEBASH 2016.



Promoters for FORTAROCK FESTIVAL 2016, set to take place 6/4 and 5th, 2016 GOFFERTPARK, NIGMEGAN, NETHERLANDS have announced that in response to PHILIP H. ANSELMO'S actions at DIMEBASH 2016, New Orleans, Louisiana sludge/metal warriors DOWN (featuring PHIL ANSELMO) have been cancelled by the promoters of FORTA ROCK and BOSPOP 2016.


Many artists and metal webzines including METALSUCKS, CVLT NATION, MACHINE HEAD, ALL SHALL PERISH and more have spoken out against PHIL ANSELMO's actions at DIMEBASH 2016 and racism.


RITA HANEY, (DARRELL "DIMEBAG" ABBOTT'S WIDOW) has posted a statement via INSTAGRAM regarding PHILIP H. ANSELMO'S behavior during DIMEBASH 2016 and MACHINE HEAD guitarist/vocalist ROBB FLYNN'S recently published video criticizing PHIL ANSELMO'S actions.


DIMEBASH 2016 (a benefit in the name of late PANTERA guitarist DARRELL "DIMEBAG" ABBOTT) , 1/22/2016 @ LUCKY STRIKE LIVE HOLLYWOOD, L.A. CALIFORNIA featured
PHILIP H. ANSELMO (PANTERA, DOWN, THE ILLEGALS), DAVE LOMBARDO (FORMERLY  OF SLAYER), ROBERT TRUJILLO (METALLICA)  and DAVE GROHL (FORMERLY OF NIRVANA, FOO FIGHTERS) as they jammed a cover of the MOTORHEAD classic "ACE OF SPADES".

Also, REX BROWN (former PANTERA bassist), PHILIP H. ANSELMO and MACHINE HEAD and more jammed on a rendition of the PANTERA classic "WALK".

DIMEBASH was a fund raiser for (late DIO vocalist) RONNIE JAMES DIO'S SHOUT OUT CANCER FUND in collaboration with RIDE FOR DIME.






FROM PEPPER KEENAN ( (BASS- CORROSION OF CONFORMITY, DOWN):
Any one who knows me is aware that I am not one to dabble much in social media, however due to what transpired last week at Dimebash I feel the need to respond and reach out to friends, family, music peers and fans worldwide.
I am saddened and confused by the behavior of Philip Anselmo last week. I do not condone what was gestured and said. This lapse in judgment of “making a joke” was in terribly poor taste and unacceptable.
That philosophy is the opposite of what I am about. My heart follows love and soul and my music has been inspired from people of all walks of life and musical styles. I view music as a gift that is universal and intended for all of humanity. As a proud New Orleanian, life is about celebrating diversity through music, it’s about bringing people together, not tearing apart.
I won’t speak for Phil but I’ve known him most of my life and I know there is not hate in his heart, however I hope at this moment in time Phil will focus his energy on self-reflection and begin the process of regaining perspective, healing himself and those lives he has touched through music
Through Down, Philip and I have written many beautiful and powerful songs in the past that have touched and inspired people from all walks of life positively and have helped pull many out of their own darkest hours. This is not something I take for granted and should always be at the forefront of one’s conscience to keep you grounded, humbled and grateful.
One of the responsibilities and joys, in my opinion, of being an artist or musician is having the ability to help make the world a better place.
I accept Phil’s apology, and I believe he can.
I’ll be there…if needed.
Love and Respect,
Pepper Keenan



FROM NEW ORLEANS, CIVIC CENTER:
After recent actions by Phil Anselmo during the Dimebash event this past week, we have cancelled Down’s performance at the Civic. We do not tolerate intolerant behavior, and there is no room for that in our venue or our city. Refunds are available at point of purchase. In addition to offering full refunds for all ticket purchases, the Civic has made a donation to the Jewish Federation of New Orleans, pledging our support for a united community.
“Me only have one ambition, y'know. I only have one thing I really like to see happen. I like to see mankind live together - black, white, Chinese, everyone - that's all.”
― Bob Marley

Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ -l-