Wednesday, May 8, 2024

ITP V.024 ONLY ONE PER COFFIN: R.I.P. STEVE ALBINI (PRODUCER, ENGINEER)

 


STEVE ALBINI, Chicago, Illinois U.S.A. based producer and engineer has died at 61 after suffering a heart attack. . 

  STEVE ALBINI produced NIRVANA, NEUROSIS, SUNN O))), CODE ORANGE, THE PIXIES and many other artists and bands. 

STEVE ALBINI was also a musician in the bands SHELLAC and BIG BLACK.  


STEVE ALBINI's famous essay "THE PROBLEM WITH MUSIC" opened eyes to the lack of money artists make compared to record labels. due to overhead.

 

 FROM CNN: 

Steve Albini, an audio engineer who influenced the sound of legendary indie and alternative rock musicians like Nirvana and Pixies, died Tuesday night of a heart attack at age 61. https://cnn.it/3QCULql

 

MORE STEVE ALBINI tributes later.  

FROM AMANDA PALMER: 

I’m gutted to hear about the sudden death of the iconic punk musician and engineer/producer Steve Albini…heart attack, he was only 61.
He was a master of sonic economy and had such incredible ethics about keeping sound simple and bullshit-free; he knew how to get songs into your heart via your ears. We had our squabbles (famously around my kickstarter) but we’d made our peace. A lot of what those squabbles taught me, in the end, was about how much punk is lost in semantics. Sometimes “DIY” absolutely doesn’t mean “Do It Yourself”, it means “Do It With Whoever is Around”, and I sometimes think that Steve and I were just a quarter-turn away from one another.
He was a close friend of my longtime producer John Congleton (read John’s feed on IG, there’s a beautiful post).
John and I would talk a lot about Steve and his grumpy ways but beautiful soul.
Steve suffered no fools and openly gave no fucks about over-decorating. He was known for capturing the alchemy of musicians slaying live. He produced - literally - THOUSANDS of records. He lived and breathed music-making.
A few of the albums he produced had a profound effect on my head-world of music-understanding: PJ Harvey’s “Rid of Me”, The Pixies “Surfer Rosa” and The Dirty Three’s “Ocean Songs” (still one of my all time favorite instrumental records to write and drive to). All massive influences on The Dresden Dolls and our approach to sound.
It’s so sad when someone so good at their job leaves the planet so early.
My best Steve Albini story: I once called him in 2007 about finishing the production of an album, since my producer had gone AWOL. He said: “Sure, when?” I said: “Don’t you want to hear the demos first, don’t you wanna hear the songs? Don’t you want to make sure you like the material?”
He said: “Nope, I give no fucks about your demos. Just come to Chicago if you wanna make a record”.
I was so vain and grumpy with his lack of desire to listen to my half-finished record that I didn’t work with him.
I regret it. I’ll never get the chance now.
Rest in reverb, beautiful Steve.
Thank you for giving us so much beautiful music. Thank you for birthing so many great albums into the world. Thank you.

FROM FEAR FACTORY: 

R.I.P. Steve Albini the legendary producer songwriter musician has passed away .His band Big Black was a big influence on us in the early stages of our careers. We covered one of his songs called Passing Complexion that was on Reindustrialized check it out here
 
FROM THE PIXIES: 
 RIP Steve Albini
 
FROM JELLO BIAFRIA: 
 
RIP Steve Albini.
Here's me, him and Jim Thirlwell backstage after Big Black's second to last show, at the I-Beam, SF.
Very blurry in background, but to my right is Lydia Lunch too.
-Biafra

Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ -l-