Tuesday, January 5, 2010

R.I.P. JACK GOLDBERG OWNER OF JACK'S RHYTHMS NEW PALTZ, NY


EDITORS NOTE: I'm soo sorry, tragic way to kick off the new year, I just found this out on MYSPACE: JACK GOLDBERG the owner of two local record stores (New Paltz, and Woodstock, NY) JACKS RHYTHMS has passed away at 66.
I can only tell you how many CD's I bought and traded from him back in the day, and metal mags, and fanzines I got into from browsing his window (MAXIMUM ROCK AND ROLL, PUNK PLANET, TERRORIZER UK). He once told me a few years ago, "Yeh, my son listens to the music you listen to, we'll try to stock some of the metal you like". Not to mention the loyal support that JACK GOLDBERG gave to the local music scene, of any genre. I would always browse the fliers of the local bands, including posting the fliers of the local bands I used to book in his store window, and hearing the chatter about music "Hey man I saw Dylan." ITP's author used to work at TOWER RECORDS (NYC) back in the early 90's, so it's one of those things, I have a soft spot for record stores, specifically the smaller indie stores. I'm so sorry to hear that JACK GOLDBERG passed. R.I.P JACK GOLDBERG and condolences to all friends, family, employees, and music fans whom have had the pleasure of chatting and patronizing JACKS record store. JACK RHYTHMS has been a musical institution in the New Paltz Ulster County region for over 20 years and then some. RIP JACK GOLDBERG. )
UPDATE: 1/6/2010: JACK GOLDBERG (owner of JACKS RHYTHMS) passed from a long battle with brain cancer, and to be honest, I would have never known because up to 2008, you could still see JACK GOLDBERG opening and closing his store and I've seen him numerous times walking down the street in 2009. BTW, if you can't find a CD in stock at JACKS RHYTHMS, just ask the clerk to order it, ironically enough it takes the same amount of time if not LESS than ordering a release online from a distributor (I compared) as when I ordered OPETH's LAMENTATION (LIVE AT SHEPARD'S BUSH) the order only took a week and I didn't have pay for shipping and handling.
FROM THE RECORD ONLINE:
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100105/ENTERTAIN/100109892/-1/ENTERTAIN
FROM THE POUGHKEEPSIE JOURNAL:
http://blogs.poughkeepsiejournal.com/sonicstorm/2010/01/13/jack-goldbergs-death-has-taught-me-a-lot-about-how-to-live-my-life/

FROM YOU TUBE USER:
markNtime JACK's Rhythms TALKING BASEBALL IN THE RECORD STORE:

Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ -l- RIP JACK GOLDBERG. HAILS to the indie record store.