Thursday, January 13, 2011

MIKE PORTNOY ANNOUNCES NEW PROJECT: PORTNOY, MORSE, MORSE, LARUE & MCPHERSON PROJECT


EX DREAM THEATER and now EX AVENGED SEVENFOLD skinsmen Mike Portnoy has announced a new band entitled PORTNOY, MORSE, MORSE, LARUE & MCPHERSON PROJECT.
FROM BWBK.COM and MIKEPORTNOY.COM:
Drummer Mike Portnoy (ex-DREAM THEATER) has posted the first photo of the new project, also featuring multi-instrumentalist Neal Morse (TRANSATLANTIC, SPOCK'S BEARD), Steve Morse (DEEP PURPLE, DIXIE DREGS), bassist Dave LaRue (Dixie Dregs) and vocalist Casey McPherson (ALPHA REV, ENDOCHINE). The photo can be seen below:



Iron City Rocks caught up with Neal Morseon a break from his work with the new project . Neal talks about the creative process and where the project is headed. He also gives some background into his career. Listen below:



On January 3rd, the above mentioned musicians started recording for the new project. Portnoy has posted a studio diary on Facebook detailing the first eight days of recording.

Day #8 reads as follows:

"As the session began, we determined that as we only have two more day together, we should write one more song and then spend the rest of time reviewing everything and making any last changes needed.

We dive into what becomes the 11th and final song...a real barn-burner that is a true Steve Morse/Dave LaRue/Mike Portnoy shred-fest (Neal and Casey were pushing us to write something like this, and as the saying goes: 'Be careful what you wish for'!)

Musically it's very YNGWIE meets LTE but with a Muse-ish harmonic and melodic edge. I think this song is the last remaining 'missing ingredient' to an album that is a very well balanced musical meal!

We then begin the process of listening down to all the songs one at a time and addressing any last changes we'd like to make to the arrangements, chord progressions, instrument orchestrations, vocal melodies, etc.

Tonight and tomorrow will have us finishing up this last stage with the songwriting and arranging, doing a photo session and some video interviews, kicking around band names and then wrapping up our time together....

I will then spend the rest of the week doing my proper drum tracks before leaving for NAMM on Friday morning....and as there wont be much to report with my drum tracking, this will be my last studio report....

It's been an amazing experience with amazing guys and amazing musicians....I cannot wait to see how the album continues to develop over the coming weeks and months and hopefully we will have more info for you all soon concerning its release.

Thanks for reading...and thanks for supporting me in all my musical (ad)ventures! You guys are my REAL fans and I know you are behind me and my decisions and that means the world to me. I will continue to raise the bar and work my ass off for you all!"
Thanks-Stay metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ -l-