Saturday, June 23, 2018

ITP V.018 ONLY ONE PER COFFIN: R.I.P. VINNIE PAUL ABBOTT (PANTERA, DAMAGEPLAN, HELLYEAH)

Texas, U.S.A. metal legends  PANTERA are reporting the 6/22/2018 death of HELLYEAH and former DAMAGEPLAN and PANTERA drummer VINNIE PAUL at 54.










 HELLYEAH unleashed "UNDENIABLE", 2/23/2016 via ELEVEN SEVEN.

ITP V.018 EDITORS NOTE:
ITP'S author is in shock.  Condolences to VINNIE PAUL ABBOTT'S friends, family and various band mates. Great metal, great times.


FROM PANTERA:
Vincent Paul Abbott aka Vinnie Paul has passed away.
Paul is best known for his work as the drummer in the bands
Pantera and Hellyeah.
No further details are available at this time.
The family requests you please respect their privacy during this time.


FROM METAL REVIEW:
It's a sad sad day. R.I.P. Vinnie Paul. You gave us a lot of great years. At least now you can be reunited with Dime.


FROM CAPITAL CHAOS TV:
Rest In Peace brother.
You see us comin'
And you all together run for cover
We're taking over this town


FROM CHRIS ADLER (LAMB OF GOD):
Vinnie... I told you 100 times I wouldn’t be doing what I’m doing had you not changed the world. I was fortunate enough to get to know you as a man and as a true friend.
You made me feel good about me. You taught me how. You showed me kindness and allowed me in.
I will never forget. Thank you.
Safe travels, my friend. R.I.P. #VinniePaul


FROM WITHERFALL: 

One of my favorite drummers omg we are stunned RIP http://www.blabbermouth.net/…/former-pantera-drummer-vinni…/


FROM  SICK DRUMMER:

It's with a heavy heart we share the news that Vinnie Paul, co-founder of Pantera, has passed away at only 54. Vinnie was always very cool and accommodating to SDM and for that, we are truly thankful and respectful. Another great talent has gone too soon. Our love and well wishes go out to all who knew him or knew of him. RIP and thank you for all you gave us. ~SDM



FROM  PAUL STANLEY (KISS):






FROM GENE SIMMONS  (KISS):


FROM MARTY FRIEDMAN (FORMALLY OF MEGADETH):






FROM BRIAN WELCH (KORN):

FROM CLOUDS:
Another hero gone, RIP Vinnie!

FROM OVERKILL:
Such devastating news. RIP Vinnie Pantera HELLYEAH
Still doesn’t seem real. Hope you are jamming together again and having some Crown Royal! Pantera HELLYEAH Vinnie Paul

FROM RANDY BLYTHE (LAMB OF GOD):
Very sad news this evening. This man always treated me & the guys in my band like family, from the very first time we ever met him with his brother at a Damageplan gig in Texas– whether backstage at a show, on his crazy tour bus, at his club, at his house, he was always a gracious host to us. He just wanted people around him to be happy. I didn’t see Vinnie much the last time we played a gig together because I heard he was in a very foul mood– this was highly unusual for him. Why was he in a foul mood? Because we were playing a big festival in Chicago, he had bought a TON OF FOOD to grill in the parking lot for everyone (as usual), & the fire marshall came and shut him down before he could start the bar-b-que. That’s the type of dude he was– he just wanted to make sure people were having a good time, & he took steps to make that happen. He also did me a very solid favor when I was in some very serious legal trouble a while back by writing a detailed letter to a judge explaining what had happened to his brother & the need for good stage security– that wasn’t an easy thing for him to do, but he did it anyway because he was a true friend and knew I needed some help– I’ll never forget that, & I made sure he knew I appreciated it. He also never minded when I got in his face with my camera– I took this photo with a 50mm fixed lens at a festival we were playing with Hellyeah in Iowa in 2016– that means I was basically inside his drum kit. When he saw me poking my head in there, he just turned, flashed me this grin, & kept on rocking. I love this photo– Big Vin smiling and doing what he did best. Rest In Peace, Vinnie Paul. You’ll be missed. BIG LOVE.
A post shared by D. Randall Blythe (@drandallblythe) on




FROM MEGADETH:
 We are deeply saddened to hear that our dear friend and brother, Vinnie Paul has passed away. Rest in Peace Vinnie, you will truly be missed and forever remembered. #VinniePaul


FROM OBITUARY: 

RIP Vinnie Paul.
Brothers together again...
Cowboys Raisin’ Hell in Heaven!


FROM KING DIAMOND:  

So sad, what a loss. Another true metalhead has left us way too soon.
Vinnie and Pantera were some of the first people to welcome me with open arms when I first moved to Dallas in 1992. Had so many great times together.
Here’s a photo of Vinnie dressed as me during a Hellyeah halloween show.
To me, that was the coolest.
I will miss you, friend.
Rest In Peace.
I know Dime is waiting for you


 FROM HELLYEAH: 

Just so broken hearted and in shock. I’m struggling to write this but we want to thank you all for your kind words and support in this tragic time. We don’t have much info to give you other then Vinnie is now with Dime and they are together in a better place. Sadness, shock, confusion, anger, despair. We feel it all together. Hug your loved ones and keep them close. Thank you all again for all your love. Vinnie will be and is greatly loved and missed but his music will live forever. Crank it loud today and scream to the heavens so he can hear you.
-Maxwell


FROM FOO FIGHTERS: 

Vinnie.....to the man with the slickest kicks and the best vibe ALWAYS. You inspired us all, not only with your music, but with your love and hospitality. You were one in a million, and will be missed..
FROM AVENGED SEVENFOLD:

I remember how excited ‘The Rev’ was when he first met you in Dallas after a show in the early 2000’s. You grabbed him around the neck and said he was a kick ass drummer even though he borrowed some of your chops! We were in shock that Jimmy had met our all time favorite drummer so we all ran to the bar to meet you and proceeded to drink the night away. You were warm and engaging. Our friendship lasted for many years and eventually resulted in a killer rendition of “Mouth for War” at the Revolver Golden Gods, a career highlight. Vegas will never be the same without you.
Dallas will never be the same. Metal will never be the same. We have been lucky enough to meet some of our idols and call them friends. You were one of the greatest of all time and a great friend. Today we mourn.
- A7X
 


FROM JASON BITTNER  (FORMALLY  OF SHADOWS FALL):

One more thing - I was reminded today that once I was Vinnie Paul....just “mini” (Dime convinced me to do it) and I also got to play this song one of the last times that it would ever be played by these two brothers......and this was by far, one of my best tour moments ever!


FROM ZAKK WYLDE (BLACK LABEL SOCIETY): 

GOD BLESS VINNIE PAUL - 1964-2O18 - FATHER VINNIE,Your Compassion for Others & Your Love of seeing everyone around you Happy I will never Forget - Your Heart Of Gold Made the World a Better Place - Go be w/Your Beloved Brother as I’m sure he’s Holding The Door open to greet you at GODS TAVERN - I LOVE YOU MY BROTHER - tBLSt SDMF



FROM GWAR:
Rest In Peace, Vinnie Paul ❤️🥁









 FROM DAVID VINCENT:
 Goodbye my friend, sad to see you go. Vinnie Paul


FROM EXODUS:
Our deepest condolences go out to Vinnie’s family, band mates and friends. You will be hugely missed RIP


FROM OTEP:  

FUCK 😞 NO 💔 #ripvinnie #NOWORDS 💔 #OTEP


FROM TYPE O NEGATIVE: 
I've had a day to sit and think about what I was going to write about the passing of Vinnie Paul. It's really hard to put into words what VP meant to me. The most important thing to me was that he was a great friend. He was always a class act and went out of his way to treat you the same way. There are so many memories going back over 20 years now. All of them are special in some way or another. A lot of miles. Some sad times. But, a lot of laughs! Thank you for all that did. I'd like to think that Dime had too many doubles poured out for him, needed backup and called on VP to help put em down! My condolences to his father, Chelsea, his bandmates and crew, Bridog and his extended family. Until we meet again. JK












FROM CHELSEY YEAGER (VINNIE ABBOTT'S GIRLFRIEND):

FROM PHIL ANSELMO (PANTERA, DOWN, SUPERJOINT, THE ILLEGALS):
FROM MACHINE HEAD:
Vinnie Paul inspired our band with his amazing style, incredible sound, and mostly his always friendly, good-time attitude. Machine Head was fortunate to tour with Vinnie 3 times (twice with Pantera, and again with Hell Yeah, Dave toured with him a 4th time in Sacred Reich on the “Vulgar” tour), numerous hangs at festivals in Japan, Australia, and the UK, and far too many blurry nights at the Clubhouse in Dallas.
He was always ready for a rage, always with a smile, and ALWAYS ready with a shot of Crown or Skyy Vodka. Vinnie even played “Halo” with us helping out his friend Dave when his mom passed away on tour. He practiced all day to learn the song and his dedication showed in his performance.
Rest In Peace Vinnie Paul, you are gone far too soon.


FROM REX BROWN:  (PANTERA, FORMALLY OF DOWN):

The last few days have been very difficult & painful. At this time, I need more time to process my feelings. Thank you for all the love that has been sent. A formal press release will be coming shortly. Rest In Peace Brother Vinnie!


FROM MOTORHEAD: 

We all lost another one of the good guys in Vinnie Paul. Noble, honest and a fucking fine drummer, Vinnie leaves behind an unfillable hole in our community. Sending our love and deepest condolences to all in the Pantera, Damageplan and HELLYEAH families...now go make some noise with your brother again! 


FROM   CHAD GREY (HELLYEAH): 

First off I’m sorry to all of you for our loss. It’s consumed me as I’m sure it has many of you. I’m sure you can all understand This has been incredibly hard and impossible for me to wrap my head around. I just don’t want to believe it’s real. I want to tell all my crew I love you guys so much. We couldn’t do what we do with out you. And I want to say thank you to everyone around the world for your kind words, blessings and condolences to all of us through this tragic time. We love you all! And to all of my friends in and out of the music business thank you for reaching out to me. It means more to me then I could ever express. I don’t know what I would do without you. So Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It really has taken “the heavy metal family” to another level. This has been one of the toughest things I’ve ever had to face in my life! I’m so confused, sad and as helpless as I’ve ever been. I’m at a loss and completely devastated. But I’m trying. It’s the equivalent of an emotional riot in my head and In my heart as I write this. But I’m trying to focus on anything good. I know Vinnie would want that. And the good things are my memories of him. His smile, his infectious laugh and his personality that beamed light. Him and his brother Dimebag lived to make people smile. That’s what I’m gonna miss the most. I just want to say thank you Vinnie Paul! For saving my life, for your music, for your endless generosity, for accepting me into your life, for creating our music that touched people, for being proud to be in hellyeah and for always treating me like a brother and more importantly for treating me like a friend. So many times I’ve looked back to see you just bashing away and have to pinch myself. It was Unbelievable! And for all of those things you will live forever in my heart. And I will never let you go!!! I will always love you and go to the end of the earth to carry the torch for you and Dimes legacy.
R.I.P Vincent Paul Abbott. I know your with DIMEBAG Right now Smiling down on us. Even in all this emotional darkness, that thought alone makes me smile right back. I LOVE YOU! Your eternal friend, -Chadnesss


 FROM GABRIEL KEYES: 

Rest in peace Vinnie..
FROM CANDIRIA: 

Thanks to Christopher Duska for sharing this gem! RIP Vinnie Paul.


FROM BANGER FILMS (DANIEL DEKAY): 

"I’ve had a few days to process the loss of Vinnie and I’m still in shock. It’s absolutely gut wrenching to think that I’ll never be able watch him play drums live again or raise a celebratory drink together. Not only did his playing and MONSTER triggered tone inspire a whole generation of musicians, he will always be remembered as someone who knew no strangers— as hospitable as they come. The Abbott brothers moulded my (and most of my peers’) musical journey with their tunes, attitude and philosophy. And now they've both been taken from this Earth far too young. They’re finally jamming together again in eternity. THE TREND IS DEAD. THE TREND IS FUCKING DEAD. REST IN PEACE VINCE, I BET THOSE BLACK TOOTHS TASTE EVEN SWEETER NOW THAT YOU’RE HANGING WITH DIME AGAIN. #HELLYEAH #GETCHAPULL" -- DK


FROM WSOU (PIRATE RADIO):
As this sad day nears its end, we would like to wish our condolences to Vinnie Paul's family, friends, and loved ones. May he rest in peace.

FROM  -Nick “Hitchcock” Bowcott: 

VINCENT PAUL ABBOTT (March 11, 1964 – June 22, 2018)
Born in Abilene, Texas, March 11, 1964, to Carolyn and Jerry Abbott.
VINNIE PAUL ABBOTT: REMEMBERING PANTERA’S
PATENTED POWER-GROOVE PIONEER WITH MUCH
REVERENCE, RESPECT & LOVE
Black days in the already dark domain of metal have regrettably become far too common of late. Friday, June 22, 2018, is sadly another such day, as on it we lost one of heavy metal’s most talented and influential drummers of all time: the pioneer of Pantera’s patented Power Groove — Vinnie Paul Abbott.
Drummers often invariably get the short end of the stick (awful pun unintentional — but it’s staying, as it’s pretty apt), as do bassists. Why? Because the vocalist and lead guitarist get the spotlight. In truth though — drums and bass are quite literally the foundation of any great band or song as they can make or break a riff or passage. A great guitar riff will inspire you to make your “metal face,” but ultimately, it’s the rhythm section that will bang the head that won’t bang and incite a mosh pit. Like I said: Make or Break…
That’s why rock drummers such as John Bonham, Keith Moon, Neil Peart, Bill Ward, Mitch Mitchell, Charlie Watts, and Alex Van Halen are rightfully considered legends. They didn’t just keep time and create a beat — they literally drove songs to new levels of intensity, light, shade, and groove.
Vinnie Abbott was (damn — the use of the past tense here is heart-wrenching) such a drummer and a high-ranking, much respected member of the aforementioned elite few.
Simply put — what made Pantera such a groundbreaking, timeless, and influential band was the combustible combination of the four members: Dime, Philip, Rex, and Vince. As Aristotle’s age-old adage states: “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts” — and Pantera was living, fire-breathing proof of this undeniable but uncommon truth.
The recipe was delightfully simple: take Dime’s brilliantly brutal yet catchy riffage; mix in Rex’s carefully crafted low-end rumble; sprinkle Philip H. Anselmo’s angst liberally over the top; then place this trio over a thick, rich base built from Vinnie’s pummeling precise drumming…and “Hey-Presto”: the POWER GROOVE IS BORN.
I had the amazing privilege of watching Pantera grow from the ground up…from dingy clubs and bars in Texas to theatres, then stadiums and arenas, right up to dominating massive festival stages all over the world. I was also fortunate enough to see them not only pummel all over America but also in England and even in Tokyo, Japan. My Tokyo experience was 333% Pantera! I literally got off a 14-hour plane ride, went straight to the venue, drank WAY too many Dime-poured Black Tooth Grins in Grady “Grand Dragon” Champion’s guitar world, before being dragged onstage to do backing vocals on, of course, “Walk.” Unforgettable. Unrepeatable. Priceless….
My first brush with Pantera was in 1985 on Grim Reaper’s Fear No Evil tour during the Terry Glaze era when they opened for us in Texas. I was blown away by their performance, and Dime gave me a cassette tape (remember those?) of Projects in the Jungle. I still have it, and it still rules. Then, in 1987, on the Hell on Wheels tour, I stage dived and landed on this pretty intimidating but amiable dude…his name was Philip H. Anselmo, and we enjoyed a post-show herbal cigarette. He’d recently moved to Texas to join Pantera — as Walt Disney’s annoying tune states: “it’s a small world, after all.” Sadly, it’s growing smaller. Anyway, back to the tale...
Then, Reaper’s management (hi Walter, hi Bob, hi Kimberly) signed Pantera; then there was all the Guitar World stuff with Dime (numerous articles, 64 columns, the Riffer Madness book, yadda, yadda). Suffice to say, I spent a lot of time with Dime and the band. This also continued with Dime and Vinnie when Pantera fragmented and the criminally overlooked Damageplan project was born. During that entire period, though, while I knew Vinnie, we didn’t really talk that much — apart from the usual, “Hey, nice to see you again” type stuff. Why? Because I was always with the human whirlwind, Dimebag, of course — he was the consummate host and redefined the term engaging.
Then came one of metal’s darkest days: Wednesday, December 8, 2004….
Prior to flying to Darrell’s funeral and public memorial service, I called Vinnie to express my profound sorrow and condolences. As expected, given the heartwrenching circumstances, the phone wasn’t answered by him, so I simply asked if my best wishes and love could be passed on. As soon as I said my name, though, I was told: “Vince was hoping you were going to call; he’d really like to talk to you.” It was in the lengthy, tear-inducing but beautifully moving conversation that followed where our relationship went from acquaintances to true friends.
While the funeral and the public memorial were, of course, understandably somewhat somber at times, our goal was to celebrate Dime’s remarkable life, and that was achieved in spades. Jerry Cantrell, Eddie Van Halen, Zakk Wylde, Maynard Keenan, members of Anthrax, Disturbed and others paid tribute from the stage and impromptu performances.
The graceful, gregarious generosity, bravery, brotherhood and sisterhood I witnessed at both events was life changing — especially from Vinnie, his and Darrell’s father Jerry “LD” Abbott, Rita, Grady, John (a.k.a. Kat), Sterling, Wirez, Chris (a.k.a. Crusher), and the man who redefines “work ethic” Mr. Guy Sykes. It was deeply moving. The fact that Vinnie was able to wear his trademark smile despite his palpable pain was far beyond touching.
I had the unbelievable experience of playing with Vinnie at a couple of Dimebashes — we did “This Love” and also a couple of Kiss tunes with Ace freakin’ Frehley on lead. Believe me — hearing VP’s power groove is one thing, but literally riding on its gigantic sonic wave when playing with him is a whole, er, new level. Unforgettable, unrepeatable, priceless moment #333.
I got invited to Memphis, Tennessee, during Elvis Week with LD, Vinnie, and Bridog (my friend — I’m so very sorry). It was an amazing few days of bonding and fun that included a tour of Sun Studios and, of course, Graceland: home of Elvis.
And 2006 was also the bearer of more great news — the world would once again get to hear and see Vinnie’s peerless drumming driving his new band, Hellyeah. Can you say “celebration”? The news of VP’s return to the studio and stage caused a global tsunami of triumphant celebration in the metal realm.
Since forming, Hellyeah has toured extensively and released five critically-acclaimed and fan-loved albums. Alongside Vinnie – Chad Gray (vocals) and Tom Maxwell (guitar) have been at the core of the band since day one. Hellyeah - completed by Kyle Sanders (bass) and Christian Brady (guitar) - was working on album No. 6 when this tragedy occurred.
Vinnie’s remarkable drumming talent is well known; what is maybe less well known is this: behind his larger-than-life onstage presence and muscular (he hit those freaking skins hard) yet musical drumming was a kind, gentle, generous,
and funny guy with an infectious smile and a heart the size of Texas.
Vinnie’s kindness and generosity helped make a difference for many. Since he was as humble as he was thoughtful, though, he never made a big deal aboutsuch amazing acts…to him, helping others was just “the right thing to do.”
But 54 is young, way too freaking young…if there is any collateral beauty in this soul-crushing, tear-stained loss, it is this…
After nearly 14 years apart: Vinnie and Dime are finally together again in an even better place. Their last words to each other on this planet were “Van Halen” (their code for having a kickass show). I know they’re in God’s Tavern (© Zakk Wylde) right now, clinking their glasses while exclaiming “Van Halen” in unison and both sporting THOSE grins.
To close — my thoughts, prayers, best wishes, and broken heart are with Vinnie’s family, bandmates & friends…and especially Jerry “The Eld’n” Abbott.
Vincent is preceded in death by his mother, Norma Carolyn Abbott, and his brother, Darrell Lance Abbott. He is survived by his father, Jerry Abbott, of Arlington, Texas, his loving partner, Chelsey Yeager, of Arlington, Texas, his right hand man and constant companion, Charles “Bridog” Jones of Arlington,
Texas, numerous aunts, uncles, nieces, and nephews, friends too numerous to mention, and millions of fans worldwide.
Vinnie — thank you for the music, the many indelible memories, and your Gentle Spirit. Big Luv, my dear friend...Big Luv, always.
REST IN PEACE & please say “hey” to Dukebox Damage, for me.
-Nick “Hitchcock” Bowcott
During Pantera’s blazing run of successes, the band was nominated for four Grammy Awards, all in the “Best Metal Performance” category:
“I’m Broken” (1994 – Far Beyond Driven)
“Suicide Note Pt. 1 (1996 – The Great Southern Trendkill)
“Cemetery Gates” (1997 – Cowboys From Hell)
“Revolution Is My Name” (2000 – Reinventing the Steel)
Vinnie did not have one favorite charity. His generosity was spread widely between his friends and strangers. If you’d like to make a donation in Vinnie’s name to your favorite charity, please do so.

FROM SCOTT IAN (ANTHRAX): 

I consider myself lucky to have been friends with you for so long and privileged to share so many adventures around the planet together. Your smile lit up a room and was infectious - making everyone around you feel better. 33 years (Threee!) of good times. Thank you Vinnie.

FROM GEEZER BUTLER (BLACK SABBATH): 

Shocked and saddened to hear of Vinnie Paul's passing. A true original. Had some good laughs when we toured with Pantera. Gone too soon.

FROM TROUBLE: 
 
From Bruce Franklin / #Trouble: "We wanted to offer condolences to Vince's family and countless fans. I had the pleasure of seeing Vince and his brother Darrell, along with Phil and Rex, play almost every night for 4 months, when Trouble was support act for Pantera. The precision and power that they played with was pretty awesome and they influenced a whole generation of musicians, while helping change the direction of heavy metal. From the little that I know, I think Vince had a very large part in leading the band and even got involved in the production end of their recordings. Even with his passing, he has left a lasting mark on heavy metal music and drumming. As for the time we spent on tour with Pantera, they always made us feel welcome I'll always have great memories of that time." R.I.P. Vinnie Paul Abbott

FROM REX BROWN: 
 
STATEMENT ON THE LOSS OF VINNIE PAUL: ˝I’ve been devastated, saddened, and shaken, almost beyond words, about the passing of my longtime brother in Pantera, Vincent Paul Abbott˝....read more https://rol.st/2KHyCX9
 MORE  VINNIE PAUL TRIBUTES LATER.


Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ -l-