Monday, February 7, 2011

ITP V.011: ONLY ONE PER COFFIN: R.I.P. GARY MOORE (THIN LIZZY)


Ex THIN LIZZY axe master GARY MOORE was found dead last night after a night of drinking as MOORE apparently died of a heart attack, although MOORE's official cause of death is unconfirmed. R.I.P. GARY MOORE.

FROM BLABBERMOUTH.NET:
According to Mirror.co.uk, legendary guitarist Gary Moore died of a suspected heart attack, a postmortem revealed earlier today (Monday, February 7).

Moore died in his sleep yesterday morning, hours after checking into the five-star Kempinski Hotel in Estepona on the Costa del Sol, Spain with an unnamed female friend. He was 58 years old.

While forensic experts are satisfied Moore died from natural causes, they requested further tests on tissue samples taken from his body ahead of a final report.

A Spanish police spokesman said today, "Mr. Moore died of natural causes and his death is not in any way suspicious. An investigating magistrate has opened a standard inquiry to determine the exact cause of death."

British tabloid The Sun reported earlier today — apparently erroneously — that Moore choked on his vomit after knocking back champagne and brandy before being discovered around 4 a.m.
“His death is not in any way suspicious. An inquiry has been opened to find the exact cause.”
EDITORS NOTE: We'll see if we make this ITP ONE PER COFFIN entry a "sticky" via a widget as the obits/tributes and condolences for GARY MOORE are rolling in.
FROM GARY MOORE.COM:
It is with deep sorrow and regret, that we have to announce that Gary Moore passed away while on holiday in Spain last night.

Our thoughts are with his children, family and friends at this sad time.
Gary Moore, RIP
1952-2011
FROM THE SUN (THANKS TO BLABBERMOUTH.NET):
GUITAR ace Gary Moore died on holiday yesterday - choking on his vomit after knocking back champagne and brandy.

The 58-year-old ex-Thin Lizzy star was discovered just before 4am by his girlfriend, unconscious in their Spanish hotel room.

Medics found him lying lifeless on his back wearing just his underpants.

An ambulance source said: "We believe the deceased had been drinking heavily."

A source at The Kempinski hotel on Spain's Costa del Sol - where suites cost up to £3,500 a night - said: "There were definite signs of alcohol in the room.

Phil Lynott and Gary Moore
Pals ... Phil Lynott and Gary Moore
Andre Csillag / Rex

"His girlfriend was very distraught, in floods of tears."

Moore, rated as one of the finest guitarists of his generation, was best known for his time in Thin Lizzy. He played on their chart hits Waiting For An Alibi and Do Anything You Want To.

He also teamed up with Thin Lizzy frontman and fellow Irishman Phil Lynott for the top ten solo hits Parisienne Walkways and Out In The Fields.

In recent years the Belfast-born guitarist and singer had forged a new career as a blues musician, releasing critically-acclaimed albums and performing with legends BB King and Bob Dylan.

Bob Geldof yesterday described Moore as one of Ireland's musical legends. He said: "One of the greatest blues players of all time. Van Morrison, Rory Gallagher and Gary Moore - the glorious trinity of the Irish blues men."

Moore's shocked former bandmates also paid tribute. Eric Bell, another ex-Lizzy guitarist from Belfast, said: "I can't believe it.

"He was so robust, he wasn't a rock casualty, he was a healthy guy. He was a superb player and a dedicated musician."

The band's drummer Brian Downey added: "I am in total shock. I've known Gary since 1967 and he's been an amazing friend ever since. He will always be in my thoughts and prayers."

Thin Lizzy's management said: "Our thoughts go out to Gary's family at this time. Our memories of Gary and his contribution to Thin Lizzy and music in general will live on forever."

Moore died hours after checking into the Kempinski Hotel at Estepona with his girlfriend, who is in her 30s, for a six-day holiday.


The hotel source said: "They were going to eat at the restaurant but it was closed so they had a sandwich at the bar with a bottle of champagne. They went for a stroll then back to the bar where Gary had brandies. He seemed fine when he left around 11pm."

Moore was in Thin Lizzy in the late '70s when the band was notorious for drink and drug binges.

In 1986 Lynott, who had known Moore since they were teenagers, died of pneumonia brought on by his heroin addiction. He was 36.
FROM RALPH SANTOLLA (OBITUARY, DEICIDE, DEATH, ICED EARTH):
"Once again, the world has lost a unique voice, a major talent.

"If it wasn't for Gary Moore, my life would have been very different.

"Three guys — Gary, Randy Rhoads and Michael Schenker — guided my decision to play guitar no matter what happened. I discovered Uli [Jon Roth] after I had already made that decision.

"I remember the first time I heard Gary. I bought 'Corridors Of Power' one night just as the record store was closing. The next morning I put it on the turntable while I was getting ready for school. The first notes of 'Falling In Love With You' came on while I was brushing my teeth, and I'll remember that moment forever — just a few simple notes, but with the power of the Gods behind them. It changed my life.

"Every time I record something, I compare it to Uli, Schenker, Randy and Gary, and I ask myself, "Is it as good as your heroes?' So far, I haven't even come close.

"God bless Gary Moore, may he rest in peace."
FROM MICK BOX (URIAH HEEP):
"On Sunday it was very sad to read that Gary Moore had died. I was most upset, as I have known Gary for many years, and he is a wonderful guitarist and friend. He will be sadly missed, but he leaves us with a wonderful legacy of music, and my heart goes out to his family. Rest in peace, my friend!"

Moore died in his sleep yesterday morning (Sunday, February 6), hours after checking into the five-star Kempinski Hotel in Estepona on the Costa del Sol with an unnamed female friend. He was 58 years old.
FROM HENRY ROLLINS:
"He was too young to go," Rollins said.

Rollins not only praised Moore's work with THIN LIZZY ("those LIZZY recordings with Moore were as good as it gets"), but also his individual projects.

"His solo records were rocking," Rollins said.
FROM BOB DAISLEY (OZZY OSBOURNE, RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH, URIAH HEEP):
"It is with great sadness that I acknowledge Gary Moore in this way. His passing has come as a sad and terrible shock and I have difficulty believing that he's gone. I have many fond memories of our years together, both in the workplace of music and as friends.

"I have love and respect for Gary as a musician and as a person; he was one of the greatest.

"Farewell and rest in peace, Gary, my friend."

Moore died in his sleep yesterday morning (Sunday, February 6), hours after checking into the five-star Kempinski Hotel in Estepona on the Costa del Sol with an unnamed female friend. He was 58 years old.
FROM GEEZER BUTLER (BLACK SABBATH, HEAVEN & HELL):
"I was very saddened to hear of the passing of one of the greatest guitarists of all time — Gary Moore. His 'Still Got The Blues' album was one of the great albums, certainly one of my favorites. His way of playing cannot be learned — it comes from the soul.

"R.I.P., Gary."
FROM JOHN SYKES (THIN LIZZY/WHITESNAKE):
"Our condolences to the family of Gary Moore — one of the greatest guitar players ever. A very sad loss for the music world. His playing will inspire generations to come. God bless. Love and respect."
FROM ROGER TAYLOR (QUEEN):
"It was my wife who told me the news. It's terrible: 58 is just too early. In Phil [Lynott]'s case it was tragic, and in Gary's case there should have been a lot more years.

"I have great memories of Gary on tour in THIN LIZZY with QUEEN: always smiling, very cheerful and… too young to die. He'd recently joined LIZZY and he fitted in great: a blindingly fast player, and his thing was these staccato runs, with a bit of jazz in there. Totally different to Brian [May], who's a very fluid player, but musicians usually 'get' other rated musicians, and Brian very much enjoyed his playing.

"Over the years, I'd see Gary out in the clubs: a great guy on the scene. He liked to drink, as I remember, but everybody did in those days.

"It's very sad. But I think his music will live on.

"Virtuosity is something we really don't have now: there are lots of great bands, but the emphasis just isn't on that anymore. In those days, it was all about how great you were; there were so many virtuosos and he was definitely one of them. He was a star player."
FROM OZZY OSBOURNE:
"I knew Gary Moore for what seemed like forever. We'd run into each other many times over the years and we were always able to pick up right where we left off.

"I had the honor of recording with Gary on his 'After The War' album on the track 'Led Clones' which was great fun.

"To say that his death is a tragic loss doesn't seem to give it the justice it deserves. We've lost a phenomenal musician and a great friend.

"Rest in peace, Gary."
FROM ROGER GLOVER (DEEP PURPLE BASSIST):
"I am deeply shocked and saddened about Gary's passing. He was truly one of the great guitarists, had a huge talent, and was a musical force beyond par. I am a fan.

"My heartfelt condolences go to his family, friends, and fans all over the world."
FROM EUROPE:
"No words can describe how sad we feel hearing the news that Gary Moore has passed away. We can't believe it! It's a total shock! He was one of our biggest influences, both as a guitarist and a songwriter. Our thoughts and feelings now go out to his family and close friends."
FROM KIRK HAMMETT (METALLICA):
"Gary Moore is definitely in my list of top five guitar influences, right up with Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Michael Schenker. His influence is strong to the point that the opening lick of the guitar solo of 'Master of Puppets' is a variation of a lick that Gary Moore played a lot. I remember the first time hearing his blues album and just getting totally blown away — not only by the playing but by the sound of it too, his tone. And I remember being so inspired that I wrote a couple riffs just based on his sound and his feel. And those riffs ended up in 'The Unforgiven' on 'The Black Album'.

"I first heard of him in the late 1970s. I was a big THIN LIZZY fan then. I had seen them on the 'Dangerous' tour and not long afterwards I heard there was a new album out called 'Black Rose'. I heard 'Waiting For An Alibi' on a college radio station and I was amazed because I instantly knew that they had a different guitar player. That was not Brian Robertson playing or Scott Gorham playing that guitar solo. It was…something else. I went to the record store and picking up 'Black Rose', looked at the cover, turned it over and saw a guitar player named Gary Moore."
FROM GUS G. (OZZY OSBOURNE GUITARIST):
"I'm very saddened by Gary Moore's passing. We've lost one of the greats.
His guitar style has heavily influenced me and I was lucky enough to see him live when he played in Greece for the first time back in 2008. I don't think I've ever heard more soulful playing and tone than Gary's.

"As one of your biggest fans, thank you for the great music you gave us, Gary Moore. R.I.P."
FROM SONATA ARCTICA:
R.I.P. Gary Moore
FROM BRIAN ROBERTSON (EX THIN LIZZY/MOTORHEAD GUITARIST):
"When I first joined THIN LIZZY and we recorded the 'Nightlife' album, there was this track that we had to do, a song called 'Still In Love With You'. As it was time to record the guitar solos I refused to replace Gary's original solos. They were the best solos I'd ever heard at that point and I wouldn't let anyone talk me into changing that!"

Robertson reflected on just one of his memorable Gary Moore stories:

"In the early days with LIZZY, we did a tour of Europe with COLOSSEUM II, which was the band Gary was in at the time, and we did a gig in Arnhem, Holland. Gary came round my room at the hotel after the show with a crate of brandy. Needless to say, we had a great time and we ended up hosing each other down with the fire hoses in the hallway. Unfortunately, the fire alarm went off and the whole hotel had to be evacuated. It was a very cheap hotel and it had lots of senior citizens living there, so all of these people had help each other out of the hotel in the middle of the night while Gazza and I stayed in the room and tried to hide. We ended up in the nick for that prank, but it was quickly sorted by our managements."
FROM ALEX LIFESON (RUSH):
"I was very saddened to hear the news of Gary's death. We toured together in the '80s and I remember him as a soft-spoken, gentle man with a quick smile. His influence as a guitarist is undeniable and his purity of playing and passion will live on in all of us who love the instrument he so cherished."
FROM ANDIE AIRFI (GRAPHIC DESIGNER):
"GARY MOORE died of a heart attack in his sleep in the early hours of February 6th. Millions will mourn the sad and tragic loss of a guitar virtuoso who throughout his life gifted us magnificent blues guitar solos, jaw-dropping technical mastery of his instrument and decades of wonderfully honest music.

I knew Gary for years as the musician the world knew – a guitarist who continued to perfect and explore his extraordinary talent. Over the last decade I have known him as a valued friend and that friendship gave me additional insight into how intensely dedicated he was to his craft – a perfectionist constantly discovering new ways to seduce those guitars to release ever more powerful and emotionally expressive sounds and sentiments.

Generous, gracious and extremely funny with those who earned his affection and respect; utterly dismissive of time-wasters and ferociously protective of his privacy; he managed for the most part to successfully balance celebrity and its demands with a profound need to be personally grounded by spending time with his family, friends and other like-minded musicians.

The desire for perfection was always the driving force and the inspiration behind his impressive musical career. Gary was equally at home playing with BB King at Wembley Arena to tens of thousands of adoring fans as he was playing spontaneously in small bars and clubs (having borrowed a small amp from a local guitar shop on his way) with local musicians he respected. The measure of the man and the musician was that the quality of performance and commitment, whether performing to dozens or thousands was, in every case, consistently brilliant."


MORE LATER...
Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-R.I.P. GARY MOORE-\m/ -l-