Wednesday, March 23, 2011

ONLY ONE PER COFFIN: EXHORDER Bassist Frankie Sparcello Dies



New Orleans, Louisiana thrash legends EXHORDER have announced that the bands bassist Frankie Sparcello passed away 3/22/2011. EXHORDER re united in 2009, and was a huge influence on the 80's underground and NOLA thrash scene. Many bands, including PANTERA, cite EXHORDER as an influence.
FROM BLABBERMOUTH.NET:
Bassist Frankie Sparcello (pictured below) of reactivated legendary New Orleans metallers EXHORDER passed away earlier today (Tuesday, March 22). More information will be made available shortly.

Sparcello joined EXHORDER prior to the recording sessions for the band's sophomore album, "The Law", which came out in 1992. The group broke up a short time later and reformed with its original lineup a few years later. Sparcello rejoined EXHORDER in 2009 and was scheduled to perform with the band at this year's Maryland Deathfest IX, which is set to take place May 26-29, 2011 at Sonar in Baltimore.

EXHORDER played the first concert with its new drummer Seth Davis on December 10, 2010 at The Hangar in the band's hometown.

Seth had been working closely with longtime EXHORDER sticksman Chris Nail in preparation for taking over drum duties for the band's live performances as well as the upcoming recordings.

EXHORDER's lineup for the December 10, 2010 concert was as follows:

Kyle Thomas - Vocals
Vinnie Labella - Guitar
Jay Ceravolo - Guitar
Seth Davis - Drums
Frankie Sparcello - Bass

Poland's Metal Mind Productions re-released the two albums (1990's "Slaughter in the Vatican" and 1992's "The Law") from EXHORDER in May 2008. Each limited-edition digipack title (limited to 2,000 copies) was made available on golden disc, digitally remastered using 24-bit technology.
FROM EXHORDER:
"On March 22, 2011, Frankie Sparcello, our brother, friend and bassist sadly passed on from us. His sense of humor and gentle soul that touched so many will always be missing from us in our lives and on the stage we are honored to have shared with such a talented musician.

"In situations that were low for us as a band, Frankie usually managed to lift us from the darkness with his silly spirit. His ferocious bass playing and stage presence will always be revered.

"The outreach from family, friends and fans has been amazing for us and the extended EXHORDER family. People are coming from out of the woodworks to lend us their support, love and general kindness.

"Beneath the top layers of we that are known as EXHORDER are real, quality human beings that care deeply for one another and the ones we each call family or friend.

"EXHORDER also extends big arms to Frankie's family, and we consider you exactly that — family.

"Thank you again deeply from the bottom of our heavy hearts.

"Rest well, dear brother. We love you, Frankie."
FROM CROWBAR:
"The members of CROWBAR would like to send their deepest condolences to the family, friends, and bandmates of [EXHORDER bassist] Frankie Sparcello. We found out last night of his untimely passing, and are all shocked, and saddened. We've had the pleasure of sharing the stage with Frankie on many occasions, and have known him for many, many years. You will be missed brother. R.I.P."

Sparcello passed away yesterday (Tuesday, March 22). No official cause of death has yet been released
4/1/2011 UPDATE:
Longtime EXHORDER bassist Frankie Sparcello passed away on Tuesday, March 22nd.

The band will celebrate the life of Frankie on Sunday, April 3rd between 3 - 7 PM at The Hangar in New Orleans.

A message states: "Family, friends and fans of Frankie's music are all welcome to join in reminiscing about our departed friend over music, food and drinks."

Further details can be found at this location: http://www.facebook.com/login.php#wall_posts
FROM Kyle Thomas (EXHORDER):
Vocalist Kyle Thomas of legendary New Orleans metallers EXHORDER has penned the following tribute to the band's bassist, Frankie Sparcello, who passed away on March 22, 2011:

"When Frankie joined EXHORDER back in 1990, I believe, it just so happened to be amid some of our darkest days as a band. We were struggling to find a good tour that everyone in the band could actually participate in and had to come up with the successor of our debut album.

"I knew Frankie beforehand, but only casually from hanging out at Last Stop. My earliest memory was him kicking my ass in pool in a random game. He was so polite about it, though; he didn't gloat once.

"When he joined the band, he immediately got settled in and clowned around as if he had always belonged. This, of course, rubbed me wrong. I was so unhappy with many things in my life at that time and somehow I managed to channel it onto him sometimes. He tried to make friends with me, but I wasn't having it. Don't get me wrong — we got along okay, but anyone that knows me knows that I'm particular about my closest circle and I can make things difficult when I choose to.

"We toured together across the U.S. and Europe, and all the while just kind of coexisted. The state of the band really just put an exclamation point on the whole thing. It wasn't until we had broken up and reformed in 2001 that I finally softened up to him.

"I bumped into Frankie at Pat's Pub one night shortly after Katrina. Very few people were home yet, and since Pat's was one of the only bars open, it was always busy. We got to talking and after we told each other our horror stories about the hurricane, I told him how great it was to see him and invited him over to the house. He suddenly stopped and looked at me with an incredulous look on his face and simply said, 'Really?' I affirmed my offer and when I asked him why he asked he said bluntly, 'I didn't even think you liked me.' Boy, did I feel about an inch tall at that moment! Immediately I sat down with him, ordered us a couple of drinks and bared my soul to him.

"Truly, I did not harbor any ill will or dislike for him, it was again just bad timing for him when he joined. EXHORDER was a band in turmoil and everything that went on internally back then was usually not without issue or friction.

"Ever since that night I have made sure that I hugged Frankie when I saw him, we told each other we love each other upon ending a conversation — not every single time, but enough.

"Frankie was welcome in my home, and never behaved disrespectfully to my wife or children.

"Although our friendship was not deeply rooted as many of his other friendships were, it was genuine. I only wish I could tell him all of this again.

"Frankie was never a guy that we really had to wonder where he was. If we were jamming, he was there.

"I am a decent bass player, but Frankie was easily one of the best of his kind. Take that from me, I know what it takes and he had it. We have had some very talented bass players come through over the years and try to win the job, but he just made it look easy where they struggled. The dude flat-out ripped.

"It will be tough to step on the stage without him, but I know Frankie would want us to keep going.

"I have a feeling that we are going to have some tough moments in the upcoming shows.

"To Bobbi, her children, Frankie's children and his family, my words will never take away the pain that we all share in the loss of such a great guy. Still, I express to each and every one of you that my heart is with you all in this awful tragedy. Frankie belonged to all of us at some point and we should all cherish the gift of him that we shared. May we all find comfort in one another and keep the good memories of Frankie alive. It's what he would have wanted, I am quite sure. He always managed to get us laughing when the road got hard for EXHORDER. I can only imagine how it was in his everyday life outside of the band.

"Frankie, I love you, I miss you and I hope you are jamming out hard with Randy Rhoads somewhere."


Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-RIP Frankie Sparcello-\m/ -l-