Tuesday, January 28, 2020

ITP V.020 ONLY ONE PER COFFIN: R.I.P. REED MULLIN (DRUMMER CORROSION OF CONFORMITY)

REED MULLIN, drummer of  Raleigh, North Carolina U.S.A. hard rock, metal warriors CORROSION OF CONFORMITY has passed away at 53. No cause of death has been given.











 CORROSION OF CONFORMITY: unleashed "NO CROSS, NO CROWN", 1/12/2018 via NUCLEAR BLAST RECORDS.




FROM CORROSION OF CONFORMITY:

Reed, It’s with heavy hearts that we say goodbye to a friend, a brother and pioneer.
Love and condolences to the family, friends and fans who will miss you and thanks for the music
A badass drummer:
Reed could play all of the metal stuff, cymbal grabs, proto blast beats with only one bass pedal. He could cop one hundred different styles and reference them in his own way. Everything from Earl Hudson and Clive Burr to Neil Peart (RIP) to Mitch Mitchell and Bill Ward. From John Bonham to Phil Taylor and Nicko McBrain. All the while he was creating his own thing, odd times and polyrhythms played nonchalantly, powerful, simple, deliberate sections, all of the possibilities were in fact possible but utilized thoughtfully, in the proper place, for the proper effect, as the song demanded. Musically speaking, what more could you ask for?


FROM JAMEY JASTA (HATEBREED):


 



FROM ROBB FLYNN (MACHINE HEAD): 


  


FROM BRIAN FAIR (SHADOWS FALL):


 


FROM MICHAEL AMOTT (ARCH ENEMY):



 



FROM DEVIN TOWNSEND: 

 


MIKE WILLIAMS (EYEHATEGOD): 



 


FROM FAITH NO MORE: 



 


FROM DANKO JONES: 



 


FROM ORANGE GOBLIN: 




 


FROM JOHNNY KELLY (TYPE O NEGATIVE): 



This one hurts. R.I.P. Reed... We had known each other for a long time. Always loved watching you play. And always a sweetheart of a guy. My heart goes out to his family, friends and bandmates. Godspeed friend. πŸ’”



FROM CHARLIE BENANTE (ANTHRAX): 






FROM RANDY BLYTHE (LAMB OF GOD): 









I got the sad news last night that my friend Reed Mullin passed away. Reed was the drummer for one of my all-time favorite bands, Corrosion of Conformity, & he is also one of the reasons I am a singer in a band today. Back in 1985, C.O.C. put out their ground-breaking hardcore crossover record, “Animosity” & from the first time I heard it I loved it- I wore that freaking tape out. My favorite track on that album is one Reed sang, “Hungry Child.” One day I was going skateboarding with some older dudes in Wilmington, NC (I was around 15 years old at the time) & we were in a car driving to the spot- someone threw “Animosity” into the cassette deck. When “Hungry Child” came on, I started singing along. The driver turned around & said “Damn, kid- you can actually sing like that. You should be in a band one day.” That was the first time anyone had ever told me that, I never forgot it, & I never will. If you listen to the way I scream at times, & you listen to “Hungry Child” you’ll hear Reed in my delivery. I told Reed that story many years later, after we had become friends, & he was super stoked. Reed was an O.G. punk rocker from the American South, a place where it wasn’t easy to be different in back in the day. He booked shows for other bands who came through Raleigh, NC, & was super important to the development of the hardcore scene in general. I met him for the first time in an airport when he came up to me & said “Nice shirt!” (I was wearing a C.O.C. one)- we became friends, I got to interview him for my radio show, & I even sang in his super group, Teenage Time Killers. Once in the 80’s my brother & I went to go see C.O.C.- my brother didn’t have enough money to buy a t-shirt, so Reed (who was selling merch after the gig) traded him one for the Black Flag t-shirt he was wearing- that’s the kinda dude he was. Reed also played at the hands-down greatest gig I ever saw- Bad Brains, C.O.C., & Leeway in VA Beach in the 80’s. I took this photo when my band took out C.O.C. on tour- we played freaking Red Rocks on that run- not too shabby for two dirt bag punk rockers from the South. Rest In Peace, Reed- you’re a legend & an influence & I’ll miss ya, bro.
A post shared by D. Randall Blythe (@drandallblythe) on



FROM LEE DORIAN (CATHEDRAL,










So sad to hear the news of Reed Mullin. That’s just not fair. Such an amazing talent to have initially come from the hardcore scene. I remember seeing him wearing a white Trouble t-shirt in Maximum Rock n Roll and wanted to know who that band was. I met him many times, mainly when Cathedral and COC were staying at the Columbia hotel at the same time during the 90’s, which seemed like every week to be honest! One of the funniest was visiting them at Electric Ladyland studios in the middle of the night, whilst they were mixing. I was completely off my trolley. We played with them on several occasions during the early 90s, which was always a pleasure and a great time. Every other year he would send an email, checking in to ask how I was doing. I probably have some personal photos but don’t have them to hand right now. RIP mate and condolences to your family, friends and former band mates.
A post shared by Lee Dorrian (@lee_dorrian) on





FROM MIKE PATTON


Damn! So sad to hear about my ol pal Reed Mullin. Rest in peace my friend. You go girl!


FROM AFRICAN METAL:

REST IN PEACE REED MULLIN
Reed Mullin who played drums for CORROSION OF CONFORMITY also co-founded that legendary American crossover/sludge and southern metal band. He passed away yesterday.


FROM REDEFINING DARKNESS RECORDS:


Another one of my major drumming influences gone...2020 has not been kind to us so far ..
RIP Reed “Mule” Mullin for everything you have to the world. He was an instrumental driving force in the early hardcore days, bridging the gap between metal and hardcore, and later evolved into something just as beautiful. My heart goes out to all that were close to him. He seemed like a truly amazing individual.






FROM SEEING RED RECORDS: 


Another one of my major drumming influences gone...2020 has not been kind to us so far ..
RIP Reed “Mule” Mullin for everything you have to the world. He was an instrumental driving force in the early hardcore days, bridging the gap between metal and hardcore, and later evolved into something just as beautiful. My heart goes out to all that were close to him. He seemed like a truly amazing individual.






#ripreedmullin #reedmullin #corrosionofconformity


FROM IAN CHRISTIE (AUTHOR/WRITER):

C.O.C.'s Animosity changed everything in 1985. R.I.P. Reed Mullin, a DIY superstar.


FROM JASON BITTNER (OVERKILL DRUMMER):

.....and now Reed Mullin too? My God this year has been not so great for the drumming world so far! I didn’t know the man but I know a lot of people who did and I heard nothing but nice things about him - πŸ™to his family, friends and the rest of COC!
RIP Reed!!!



FROM HIGH ON FIRE:
RIP Brother Reed.
A tragic loss, we should remember him as a great musician, and even better human.
#Repost @coccabal


FROM PROPAGANDHI:

We are extremely saddened to hear of passing of three of our drum heroes this week. Neil Peart from Rush, Sean Reinert from Death and Cynic and Reed Mullen from C.O.C.
All three were innovative and amazing and will be greatly missed. They all left behind an extreme imprint on our band.
At some point in time our drummer Jord figured out how to play every one of those crazy drum rolls from C.O.C.’s tune ‘Technocracy’, we played it all the time and recorded it and once we went all the way to play a single show in Chicago just because C.O.C. was playing the next night. Anyway, Rest In Peace Neil, Sean and Reed, thanks for everything. Time is getting shorter for all of us.
Here’s Reed drumming like a maniac:



FROM MACHINE HEAD:
Very sad. Rest In Peace Reed.


FROM GARY HOLT:






FROM BRAD WILK (RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE):






FROM GWAR:

“The GWAR family will miss Reed Mullin. The news of Reed’s passing was devastating. Many of us who grew up in the Richmond, Virginia punk scene during the mid-1980s felt especially connected to Reed and all the guys in Corrosion Of Conformity. Reed was always friendly and welcoming, and funny. He was a great drummer and so fun to watch. But as much as he stood out as a drummer, Reed also stood out as a genuinely good person.
I will go so far as to say that many of us built our identity in part on the music, and image, and heart of C.O.C. Reed was an integral part of that music and that historical moment. To us, Reed represented all the good, and all the potential of the hardcore scene and its music. He was a skilled, heavy, hard-hitting, energetic, and entirely original player. But more than that, he was a kind-hearted person who encouraged other players and was generous with his time, attention, and praise. Reed was one of the people who made us feel like we were part of something important and larger than ourselves.
Musically, C.O.C. are pioneers of the crossover between hardcore and metal, and over the course of the band's more than 30-year career, Reed's playing and his understanding of music evolved and drove forward ever-heavier and groovier versions of the group. And to his credit, through the ups and downs, and though he struggled in the end of his life, Reed never lost his loving, welcoming nature. To Reed's family, and to Mike, Woody, Simon Bob, Karl, Phil, and Pepper, we are so sorry for your loss. We were all lucky to have had him for a while.” - Michael Bishop, human slave of The Berserker BlΓΆthar. #ripReedMullin





Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ -l-