Friday, January 10, 2020

ITP V.020 ONLY ONE PER COFFIN: R.I.P. NEIL PEART (RUSH DRUMMER)

 NEIL PEART, drummer and lyricist of Canadian progressive rock legends  RUSH passed away to brain cancer 1/7/2020 at 67.










RUSH retired in 2015 after the band concluded their 40th anniversary tour.

RUSH were inducted into the ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME in 2013. 


RUSH unleashed "CLOCKWORK ANGELS", 6/8/2012 via ANTHEM RECORDS.






FROM CBC NEWS:





ITP V.020 EDITORS NOTE: Very sad to hear of NEIL PEART'S passing, perhaps the greatest drummer of my generation.
My favorite RUSH song is "SUBDIVISIONS", a track about alienation.

VIDEO BELOW: RUSH: "SUBDIVISIONS" (VIA YOU TUBE, COURTESY OF RUSH):






FROM RUSH:

It is with broken hearts and the deepest sadness that we must share the terrible news that on Tuesday our friend, soul brother and band mate of over 45 years, Neil, has lost his incredibly brave three and a half year battle with brain cancer (Glioblastoma). We ask that friends, fans, and media alike understandably respect the family’s need for privacy and peace at this extremely painful and difficult time. Those wishing to express their condolences can choose a cancer research group or charity of their choice and make a donation in Neil Peart's name.
Rest in peace brother.
Neil Peart September 12, 1952 - January 7, 2020


FROM DECIBEL MAGAZINE:

Decibel is deeply saddened to report the death of Canadian rock icon and former Rush drummer Neil Peart.

FROM BROOKLYN VEGAN:
We're sad and shocked to learn that the legendary Neil Peart has died from brain cancer at age 67

FROM GEEZER BUTLER (BLACK SABBATH):

 Sad to hear of Neil Peart passing. RIP.

FROM CAPITAL THEATER:

Rest in power to one of the greatest drummers the world has ever known. πŸ’”Rest in power to one of the greatest drummers the world has ever known. πŸ’”


FROM EVER METAL:

I'm going to interrupt my news posting here as I have just seen the sad news that Rush drummer Neal Peart has passed away at the age of 67 from brain cancer. We, at Ever Metal, would like to extend our thoughts and condolences to not only Neal's family and bandmates, but also to the millions of fans he had worldwide. RIP Neal





FROM COVERKILL NATION:

We just lost a legend, and it hits a bit close to home. It's no secret I love Rush as a band, hell the final Rank Em All episode was for the band, and Neil was instrumental (literally and figuratively) to what made them what they were. I'd go on but aside from this I'm at a loss for words.
Rest In Peace.




FROM MYTHOLOGICAL TOWERS:

 Rest in peace, Neil Peart, the master of drums!



FROM OVERKILL:

RIP Neil! RUSHThoughts go out to your family and friends. We thank you for the music, your legacy lives on! πŸ’šπŸ–€πŸ€˜πŸ»








FROM JASON BITTNER (OVERKILL DRUMMER)::

I don’t even know how to process this right now - screw my birthday tomorrow - this is one of the worst days of my life- this man FOREVER changed my outlook on the drums and he was the GREATEST ever and there will be no one like him ever! Thankfully over the years I actually met and became friends with “The Professor” - he was an absolute gentleman, a sweetheart and an awesome guy! I’m going to miss him tremendously! NEP - I love you man and I hope Jackie and Selena were waiting for you!! Deepest condolences to Olivia and Carrie and his extended family and lastly to Alex and Geddy πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™
#heartbroken
#2112forever




FROM MARCO MINNEMAN (DRUMMER):

RIP. I’m shocked and saddened about the news of Neil Peart’s passing.

FROM MORKE: 
If it weren't for Rush, Morke would not sound the way it does. It might not even exist at all. One of the three best musicians to ever live has now left us, and it's cut me extremely deep. Rest in peace Neil Peart. Thank you for everything.



FROM KING DIAMOND:

 It is unbelievably sad to hear that my favorite drummer of all time, Neil Peart, has left us. It’s very hard to find words to properly express the level of inspiration and influence he had on so so many musicians the world over. He will forever remain at the top of my list. Farewell to a true king.

FROM FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE:

You'll be missed, Neil.


FROM A FLOCK NAMES MURDER:


What an absolutely devastating loss for the world of music. A friend of ours put it well in his own tribute - "People throw around the word legend a little too lightly these days, but this guy was and is one."
Rest In Peace, Neil Peart.


FROM VIRCOLAC:

Another great into the the dark..

FROM DAVE LOMBARDO (SLAYER, SUICIDAL TENDENCIES): :

 R.I.P. Neil Peart
An extraordinary talent.


 FROM THE FORUM (L.A. , CALIFORNIA, U.S.A.):

Rest in Peace, Neil Peart. One of the greatest of all time & forever a part of Forum history.


FROM GORGUTS:

Today we heard the passing of a great musician from Canada, Neil Peart from RUSH. How many metal drummers praise this genius for the last 3 decades? Gorguts wants to express his profound condolences to all the family and the boys(Alex and Geddy Lee). The musician world is mourning the loss of a great man of valor. Rest in peace Neil Peart.



FROM LIVE NATION:

RIP Neil Peart, legendary Rush drummer & lyricist.



FROM EDDIE TRUNK:







FROM SCOTT IAN (ANTHRAX): 







FROM TOMMY THAYER (KISS):  







FROM CHUCK D (PUBLIC ENEMY): 







FROM PEARL DRUMS: 




FROM NPR:





FROM RICHARD CHRISTY:





FROM KIRK HAMMETT (METALLICA):



FROM DAVE GROHL (FOO FIGHTERS, FORMALLY OF NIRVANA): 

“Today, the world lost a true giant in the history of rock and roll.”


FROM SLEEP :
Neil Peart September 12, 1952 – January 7, 2020. Rest In Peace



FROM SICK DRUMMER MAGAZINE:

 It's with a heavy heart we say thank you and goodbye for now to the legendary Neil Peart. His three and a half year battle with brain cancer has come to an end and he has moved on to be with his family. Thank you for your endless inspiration, encouragement, and outstanding contributions to music. Rest easy...



FROM KENNY ARANOFF (JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP DRUMMER):


 


FROM PAUL STANLEY (KISS):







FROM BRYAN ADAMS:





FROM KATAKLYSM:


 A fellow countryman has fallen, a legend and an unmatchable talent ,RIP Neil Pert, what you did with RUSH was magic and gave us all inspiration, you will be missed !


FROM AKURIAN:

 Rest In Peace Neil


FROM KRISIUN:


🏴 I am just speechless... the God of Drums has left this plan of life...
For many years he presented us with his incredible sophisticated talent. The man who elevated drumming to an entirely new level with his incredible technique, precision, feeling, creativeness and heart.
The one and only Neil Peart...
Go in Peace Master, your work of art is eternal.
"They forge their creativity
Closer to the heart."
Max Kolesne & Krisiun


FROM NEURAXIS:


 Rest In Peace Neil

FROM CANDIRIA:


Today we say goodbye to a legend and major contributor to the world of music.
Rest Easy Neil Peart.


FROM UPSTATE NEW YORK SHOWS:


 R.I.P Neal Peart of RUSH one of the greatest drummers to ever to sit behind the kit.
Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ -l- R.I.P.



FROM AMAZON MUSIC:

 Thank you for the music, Neil. RUSH



FROM WITHERFALL:

 R.I.P to an absolute legend. No one reading this has not heard this man and/or his influence somewhere within their life... A real tragedy. R.I.P Neil Peart. When I was a young kid my dad use to talk in mystical ways about how your drum set would wrap around you. Hopefully on whatever trip you are on there is a giant kit to get behind. Travel on. -Jake


 FROM MITHRAS:

Rip Neil Peart, who this week sadly lost the battle he had quietly been fighting against brain cancer for the past 3 1/2 years. As drummer and lyricist for Rush, Neil was a huge influence on latter day Mithras, in particular our most recent album "On Strange Loops". His incredible sense of timing, craft and precision will most likely never be be matched, he truly was the best of the best. #neilpeart #rush #ripneilpeart




FROM EVOKEN:

 No better words can sum up the passing of the humble Messiah . No better song to remember the GREAT Neil Peart.
Carve your name on hearts, not tomb stones. A legacy is etched into the minds of others and the stories they share about you.




FROM MACHINE HEAD:

 R.I.P. Neil Peart πŸ–€πŸ’”


FROM JUDAS PRIEST:

Judas Priest send out love and condolences for Neil Peart, his family, band mates, friends and fans around the world -
Neil's legendary drum work and inimitable style will always resound in rock n roll


FROM MAD SEASON:


I had just arrived in New York City for a music conference when I saw that Neil Peart had passed. Everyone was posting their memorials to him, as will I. But I wanted to consider it for a few days, as would likely Neil. He didn’t strike me as the kind of guy who would write anything fast, hurried, or careless. He was a thinking man’s musician/philosopher.
Rush was my very first rock concert, on their Grace Under Pressure Tour in 1984. This photo is from that tour, probably during their rehearsals I would presume. I was a junior in high school down in Tumwater and the concert was at the Tacoma Dome just south of Seattle. The show was of course amazing, and I was such a Rush nerd that I even knew the names of their main techs, so I stayed until everyone had left the front of the stage and I called out to one of the techs (on a first name basis no less!) to see if he would give me a used drum stick. Of course he didn’t, but at least I tried. As a young drummer all I did was practice to Rush albums in the hayloft of our barn, as well as the growing collection of jazz and fusion records I was becoming obsessed with. It was all vinyl back then, we weren’t hipsters, indeed, we were the opposite. But vinyl was all there was back then - vinyl, a turntable, and a giant set of headphones.
What we all loved about Neil’s drumming was the complete originality of it, and of course his epic fills, which combined elements of Keith Moon and John Bonham but were wholly original unto themselves. Much later I learned that he was also influenced by the great jazz drummers, and then I loved Neil even more. And of course his lyrics, which were much, much smarter than the vast majority of the rather ridiculous rock bands of the 70s and 80s, put Neil in a league all his own. Especially considering that much of what he predicted came to be true - giant corporations spying on us constantly, governments oppressing people on behalf of those same corporations, environments around the world being laid to waste, and the wealthy finding new ways to extract from the poor. Turns out that Neil wasn’t just the most badass drummer since John Bonham, he was also a bit of a prophet.
One could really make the case that Neil Peart was the first drummer who broke the stereotype of the drummer being the dumb, party guy in the band. In fact, Neil made it possible for the drummer to be the smartest and most talented guy in the band, and over the course of a couple decades, we now have all these cool, progressive bands (from rock, jazz, and hip hop) lead by drummer/writer/producers.
I bought almost every Rush album right as they were released, because like all drummers, I wanted to hear what Neil would do next - what could he possibly think up this time? Then back to my drum set I'd go, to try and figure it out.
Because of my own musical life, I only saw two Rush concerts myself - that first show in 1984, and a show in Portland on their final 40th anniversary tour in 2015. And not everyone loved Rush, which I can also understand. But when you consider the way modern culture has come to celebrate mediocrity in their musicians, singers, and even the downhill trend in songwriting, we can look back at Rush as a completely original band that put musical and lyrical excellence at the top of the list, and it didn’t matter whether people thought they were cool or not. Which is the very reason why they were so cool, and some of the biggest bands in the world happily admit to being influenced by them.
So thank you Mr. Peart, for breaking rhythmic ground, writing smart stories, and making the drummer the coolest guy in the band. -Barrett Martin


FROM FRONTEIRS MUSIC SRL:

 So many of us on the Frontiers staff are huge RUSH fans and of course by extension huge admirers of everyone in the band. It was a massive blow to hear of the passing of Neil Peart, a true, undeniable legend. May he Rest In Peace. Thank you for all the amazing words and music, Neil. ❤️


FROM SENTIENT HORROR:
Rush was one of the first bands that really made me want to work hard at guitar and at music in general. Rush and Neil’ impact on the world of Rock and Metal cannot be understated. We’ll miss you, Neil. - Matt


FROM FLO MOURNIER (DRUMMER CRYPTOPSY):

RIP Neil Peart, there will always be something of you in all of us.

FROM REDEFINING DARKNESS RECORDS:

Way to kick of the New Year 2020, by taking another legend away from us. F U
RIP The Professor / Neil Peart



 FROM SEEING RED RECORDS:
Well...only 2 weeks into 2020 and she already took a legend away...shitty way to start.
RIP The Professor / Neil Peart

FROM CHURCHBURN:

When I was 5 years old, my brother Hal, put a guitar in my hands...this was the first song I ever learned. I thank my brother for showing me the music of Rush. Rest in Power, Neil Peart...


FROM BENEDICTION:
So sorry to hear the news of Neil Peart passing. We’ve lost another one of the greats. RIP.



FROM ASTRAL NOIZE:
When Neil Peart received a drum kit for his fourteenth birthday, as countless teenagers likely have, few could predict that he would go on to be not only one of rock’s finest percussionists, but also a fiercely creative soul who operated on his own terms, and never lost what it meant to be an artist.
In this piece, we pay tribute to a legend, but we've also included tributes from Bismuth, Limb, VΓΆlur, TRONOS, APF Records and more.

FROM HEAVY NEW YORK:

RIP to a Legend. \m/

FROM DARKEND:

A great drummer. A superb lyricist. The true Ghost Rider.
"You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use the key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store...
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination..."

R.I.P. Neil Peart


FROM TONY IOMMI (BLACK SABBATH):

 So sorry to hear the news of Neil Peart passing. We’ve lost another one of the greats. RIP.

FROM LARS ULRICH (METALLICA):





FROM TRIUMPH:


 


FROM MADISON SQUARE GARDEN (NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, U.S.A.)




FROM GARY HOLT (EXODUS):




FROM MIKE PORTNOY (FORMALLY OF DREAM THEATER):









It absolutely breaks my heart to pieces to get the news of the passing of one of my greatest heroes of all time. Neil Peart will always be a mentor and a hero to me and his influence on me as a drummer for the past 40 years is absolutely impossible to measure. But beyond that, over the past 15 years or so, he’s become a friend...always such a gentleman and a gracious host. Always inviting me to come to soundcheck and spend some time before the show whenever Rush was passing through. Always sending complimentary copies of his new books, or Holiday emails with pictures of he and his young daughter Olivia. I have so many memories through the years, but probably the most Special was the last time I saw him. I took my son Max to see Rush on their farewell tour as I wanted him to see the band before they retired...Neil ever the incredible gracious host invited us to soundcheck, let Max play his drums, gave him a pair of sticks and an autographed snare drum head and opened up his dressing room to us for the evening. The point is, if you were his guest you were family. I could go on and on and on but I need to process this. Sadly, I’ve known about Neil’s declining health for a few years now and always feared this news...but I am still shaken to the core in shock. My deepest condolences go out to Geddy and Alex, to Carrie and Olivia, to Michael and Lorne and Chris S, to Ray and Pegi, and to all of his faithful fans all around the world of which I will always be one of the biggest. Rest In Peace Bubba You’ll always be my hero πŸ˜₯ RIP Neil Peart
A post shared by Mike Portnoy (@mikeportnoy) on



FROM TERRY BROWN (RUSH PRODUCER):



It is with a heavy heart that I have to acknowledge the passing of Neil on this 10th day of January 2020. I have so many fond memories of good times spent listening to him compose some of the greatest percussive moments on record and working with his lyrics which he took so much care to write for us all to cherish.
It seems unfathomable that a man could use so much of his brain to enrich our lives and then leave us so abruptly.
Thank you Neil for all you gave us, I have added a shot of you and me at my 60th birthday - a wonderful memory, thanks for being there and being such a huge part of my life.
My heartfelt thoughts go out to all the RUSH families, friends and fans on this sad occasion
Broon

FROM BANGER TV/FILMS:


Le Studio - August 21, 2014
Thank you Neil. You were a master and a gentleman, and an inspiration to us all. Your music and words will be with us forever.


FROM BILL WARD (BLACK SABBATH):


Red Barchetta has become even more potent today after the news of your passing. Red Barchetta is sad today, and fondly reminding my wife and I of times and places long gone, but still sweet in our hearts.
What is left is a life’s work to praise, converse about, to be in awe of, knowing the world is a better place for your triumphs. What you did in the moments you had, what you created, lends itself to the richness of life, and for those who embraced your passion and love, I believe we are better for it. My wife and I respectfully thank you.
Our condolences to family members, friends, fellow musicians, and the fans. RIP Neil.
Love,
Bill Ward

FROM CARL PALMER (ASIA. EMERSON LAKE AND PALMER):


Condolences on the passing of Neil Peart:
"I only met Neil once in my life. He was a great drummer and a gentleman! He will be remembered as being one of the most innovative drummers in the Prog world. He made it it a better place for all of us.
I was always a Rush fan and he was the perfect drummer for them. I will miss him."
Carl Palmer


FROM RHINO RECORDS AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP:
 Neil Peart was a musician and songwriter of immeasurable talent who will surely be remembered as one of the greatest and most influential drummers in the history of rock and roll. His ingenious lyrics painted incredible pictures that made RUSH's songs jump off their musical canvases. Across the band’s classic studio and live albums with Atlantic and Roadrunner, Neil has been a part of the Warner Music Group family for over three decades. We are all deeply saddened to hear of his passing today but we are proud to have been a part of the vast footprint he has left on the world. Warner will continue to honor Neil’s legacy as his music is celebrated for generations to come. Rest In Peace, Neil. - Kevin Gore, President of Global Catalog, Recorded Music for Warner Music Group


FROM DOANE PERRY (DRUMMER JETHRO TULL):

 Neil Ellwood Peart - 9/12/52 - 1/7/20

I want to thank all the people who have so kindly written, texted, posted or called regarding Neil's passing. Like so many, this has completely undone me and I haven't quite known where to start. I am working on something more substantial to be posted in the future when things have settled a little for everyone.

During the last three and a half years, Neil faced this brutal, aggressive brain cancer bravely, philosophically and with his customary humor, sometimes light and occasionally dark - all very characteristic of him, even given the serious situation and the odds handed to him at the time of the diagnosis and subsequent surgery. But he fought it. By his own request for privacy, few people knew, but his understandable response to this news in no way excludes or diminishes ALL of those who also knew him, worked with him or loved and admired him from up close, or at a distance. His tenacious approach to life served him well during these last years and although he primarily kept his own counsel, he retained his dignity, compassion, understanding and his deeply inquisitive nature, which never deserted him. Remarkably, considering the severity of his condition (glioblastoma) and through the resulting aftermath, he really had no pain. This was always my first question when I saw him.
“Any pain?” I asked.
“No pain”, came the reply.
What a blessing that was. We were all grateful for that.

For every one of us who loved him, near and far, this is a loss that is difficult and impossible to summarize in a few short paragraphs. The outpouring of love, respect and appreciation from every imaginable quarter for this extraordinary, singular talent and beautiful man with a mind like no one I have ever met, is touching beyond words. To those that had to guard and hold on to this information closely for three and a half years, for obvious and protective reasons; his wife Carrie, daughter Olivia, his loving family, band, colleagues and friends, they have my undying admiration. You know who you are.

Apart from his deeply gifted, genius talent and prolific output, which he brilliantly displayed through music, lyric and prose writing and that staggering storehouse of knowledge across an array of subjects in multiple fields, he remained a kind, gentle, considerate and modest soul and a consummate gentleman… as well as an extraordinary friend. If you were his friend, you knew it and he understood how to be the best friend that you could ever hope to have. I think I speak for all, known and unknown to him, to say he will be deeply missed, eternally loved, appreciated and remembered for his many invaluable contributions to music, art and the written word. That will be forever celebrated.

Despite what he knew and we knew which was inevitable, I believe there is some sense of relief that this long, difficult odyssey has finally ended.

Thank you my dear friend, for passing this way. We are all richer for your presence and light in our lives.

πŸ™πŸ’™πŸ™






FROM DREAM THEATER:

We are deeply saddened to hear of the loss of one of the world’s greatest artists, lyricists and drummers of all time. To say that Neil and the music he was a part of was an influence on Dream Theater is a gross understatement. Our hearts are with his family and former band mates. We will all miss him dearly.

FROM SABIAN:
Remembering Neil Peart: his passion for life and music continue to inspire us greatly.
In this video produced in 2012, Neil shared his experiences bicycling over the Alps (twice); the Pyrenees and the Rockies; and throughout West Africa. His love for adventure was also woven throughout tour life, as he traveled to every RUSH show since ’96 by motorcycle.
What was your favorite RUSH tune, or memory of Neil?


FROM SWALLOW THE SUN:

"Farewell to the King, Neil Peart.. How I fucking hate this disease." -- Juha Raivio
"Suddenly, you were gone
From all the lives you left your mark upon
I remember
How we talked and drank into the misty dawn
I hear the voices
We ran by the water on the wet summer lawn
I see the footprints
I remember
I feel the way you would
I feel the way you would
Tried to believe but you know it's no good
This is something that just can't be understood
I remember
The shouts of joy, skiing fast through the woods
I hear the echoes
I learned your love for life
I feel the way that you would
I feel your presence
I remember
I feel the way you would
This just can't be understood"



FROM DENIS DEYOUNG (FORMALLY OF STYX): 


Hey kids
It’s a sad day indeed what with the passing of Neil Peart. Early on Styx played some shows with Rush and he was one helluva drummer. In those days my two favorite drummers we played with (other than John of course) were Neil and Tommy Aldrich, who at that time played for Black Oak Arkansas...hey “Jim Dandy”.
When Rush retired in deference to Neils diminishing skills I thought it showed loyalty to a sick brother. I never realized just how ill he was. My sister in law Dawn who as you may know sang with me for many years also succumbed to brain cancer as well. It’s an awful disease. Here’s hoping technology will interconnect all the planets great minds and find a cure. They’re making progress.
So long Neil you are still today’s Tom Sawyer.

Cheers Dennis
#neilpert

FROM LIVING COLOUR:

Will Calhoun on SiriusXM VOLUME Debatable w/ Alan Light discussing his friendship and memories of Neil Peart. RIP and condolences to the Peart and Rush families and legions of fans
-10:31

FROM NANCY WILSON (HEART):




FROM OPETH:

Like many before me, we too want to give our condolences to the family and friends of Sean Reinert. His passing came as a big surprise and shock to us. We toured together with Cynic in the past, as some of you might know. I remember Sean as a great guy with a splendid sense of humour. And a monster of a drummer! Very sad to hear about his passing! The last few weeks has seen a lot of tragic losses in the music world. Of course I also want to mention Neil Peart. I didn’t know him personally, and I never met him but his influence on rock music cannot be understated, which is why I, on behalf of the band, want to pay our respects and give our condolences to the people close to him.' - Mikael



FROM PROPAGANDHI:

We are extremely saddened to hear of passing of three of our drum heroes this week. Neil Peart from Rush, Sean Reinert from Death and Cynic and Reed Mullen from C.O.C.
All three were innovative and amazing and will be greatly missed. They all left behind an extreme imprint on our band.
At some point in time our drummer Jord figured out how to play every one of those crazy drum rolls from C.O.C.’s tune ‘Technocracy’, we played it all the time and recorded it and once we went all the way to play a single show in Chicago just because C.O.C. was playing the next night. Anyway, Rest In Peace Neil, Sean and Reed, thanks for everything. Time is getting shorter for all of us.
Here’s Reed drumming like a maniac:


FROM CANADIAN PRIME MINISTER JUSTIN TRUDEAU:







Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ -l- R.I.P.