Saturday, October 16, 2021

AETHER REALM: "Chris has (as a result of his choice to use racist and sexist language as a punchline for shock value in the past) damaged the bond of trust between himself and several of our fans artistic collaborators. As a result, there are now people in our community that are having to ask themselves “Am I even welcome at these shows?”"

 


  Greenville, North Carolina, U.S.A. based melodic, folk death metal warriors AETHER REALM have CANCELLED out of the bands UK/IRELAND tour with GLORYHAMMER and ALESTORM.

 

AETHER REALM  unleashed "REDNECK VIKINGS FROM HELL", 5/1/2020 via NAPALM RECORDS. .  

 

FROM AETHER REALM: 

 

We’re incredibly disappointed to announce that we will not be joining Alestorm and Gloryhammer for their upcoming UK and Ireland tour later this year. We deeply apologize to the fans that had planned to attend these concerts to see us, and we promise to come play for you as soon as possible. The tour is continuing with Bootyard Bandits taking our place.
Jake here, and I just want to speak directly for a minute instead of “as the band”, because this all involves such a cross between business and personal shit it’s best if I just speak clearly. I have spoken with my bandmates, and we are all on the same page.


Chris has (as a result of his choice to use racist and sexist language as a punchline for shock value in the past) damaged the bond of trust between himself and several of our fans artistic collaborators. As a result, there are now people in our community that are having to ask themselves “Am I even welcome at these shows?”
I have chosen to remain Chris’ friend, because I believe real friendship means holding your friends accountable when they fuck up, and also helping them work through even the most self-inflicted problems so they can grow. I also believe racist and sexist behavior isn’t eliminated by simply cutting people out of your life.
I’m trying to play a role as a mediator while he does the work to repair these relationships. I don’t feel that I can effectively play that role while also enjoying the privilege of opening for any of his projects at a bunch of huge sold out shows. It’s also important to our band that all of our fans, friends, and peers feel welcome and respected within the community we’re building, regardless of skin color or gender.
I remain hopeful that with enough time and communication we can see this damage repaired. However, as of right now we feel that there is still much work to be done, and so we believe this is the best course of action.
I will try to respond to any questions as quickly as possible. Thank you, and apologies to all who have been negatively affected by this decision.
 
 
 
Thanks-Stay Metal, Stay Brutal-\m/ -l-